designs of "record breaking" rockets

Discussions about rockets, construction materials, adhesives, nozzles, nosecones and fin design.
kuroFSM

designs of "record breaking" rockets

Post by kuroFSM »

Hi there,
I'm a bit curious about what design the highest reaching rockets had. For the ones that have to reach the top height in one piece.
The point is: do they use single hole or multi holes designs? My simulations proved that the optimum was to have at least 2 holes: just like a 2-stage, but not detaching. One "stage" high thrust, low duration to give the speed, one low thrust, high duration, designed to keep the speed rather than increasing it.
Cheers!
kuroFSM

Re: designs of "record breaking" rockets

Post by kuroFSM »

(I couldn't modify answer...)
following vision of this I should redo my caklculation with such a launcher: it saves a lot of water on launch, making the first stage less useful... Are all "powerful" rockets as heavy as this one? (plastic & water have almost same weight)
WRA2
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by WRA2 »

kuroFSM wrote:Hi there,
I'm a bit curious about what design the highest reaching rockets had. For the ones that have to reach the top height in one piece.
The point is: do they use single hole or multi holes designs? My simulations proved that the optimum was to have at least 2 holes: just like a 2-stage, but not detaching. One "stage" high thrust, low duration to give the speed, one low thrust, high duration, designed to keep the speed rather than increasing it.
Cheers!
To qualify for a record the rocket MUST weigh LESS than 1,500 grams (without the water). This includes the payload bay, altimeter, deployment system parachute nosecone, fins, nozzle etc.). Whether the rocket is one stage, two or more, the weight limit still applies. We have a separate class for multi-stage rockets as they are burdened with the extra weight of the staging devices and recovery systems for each stage.

http://www.wra2.org/WRA2_Class_B_Rules.php

The current overall record is held by U.S. Water Rockets at an altitude of 2,044 feet (623M).

http://www.wra2.org/WRA2_Standings.php
Lisa Walker,
:WRA2: Forum Administrator. :WRA2:
:WRA2:The Water Rocket Achievement World Record Association :WRA2:
WRA2
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by WRA2 »

kuroFSM wrote:(I couldn't modify answer...)
following vision of this I should redo my caklculation with such a launcher: it saves a lot of water on launch, making the first stage less useful... Are all "powerful" rockets as heavy as this one? (plastic & water have almost same weight)
The rocket shown in that video does not qualify for any records due to metal used in its construction and it's highest flight is almost 900 feet below that of the current record.
Lisa Walker,
:WRA2: Forum Administrator. :WRA2:
:WRA2:The Water Rocket Achievement World Record Association :WRA2:
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

WRA2 wrote:The current overall record is held by U.S. Water Rockets at an altitude of 2,044 feet (623M).
http://www.wra2.org/WRA2_Standings.php
Our currently published single flight personal best altitude is 2,182 feet. We were not able to get a second flight within the time limit to make that a world record, but it stands as a good benchmark to compare to other non record compliant flights like others have flown outside of sanctioned competition.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison