dual servo ideas

Discussions about rockets, construction materials, adhesives, nozzles, nosecones and fin design.
rumnass
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

dual servo ideas

Post by rumnass »

Maybe this is a question only aimed at us water rockets but here it goes.
I am very new to this water rocketry game,but having a look at the new launch pad technology I am impressed.

so with the dual servo timer parachute deployment, will it be possible to launch a water rocket and deploy wings at or near after apogee
and then deploy a parachute or flaps or what ever to slow it down to land.
if so has any one done anything similar or could you so me where to look.

one reason I am asking that I recently made my first water rocket with my 8 yr old son, with a lack of any good rubber bands (only loom bands) to make a parachute system.
I had decided that a good way to bring the rocket down safely was to have wings to make it glide down, I defiantly over cooked the psi at about 100psi. All we saw was a mass of plastic and duck tape floating back down to earth luckily the nose cone was ok ish and on site repair meant we could at least launch a lawn dart without spike.

Kev.
Jamie5335
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: dual servo ideas

Post by Jamie5335 »

Hi rumnass,

I had a brief idea for adding glide wings to a water rocket. Using a water rocket electronic timer or tomy timer, as soon as the rocket reaches apogee a servo releases a clip, which allows two springs to deploy a set of corroflute wings. The wings would be folded during launch and flight. Only at apogee would the servo activate and the springs 'pull' the wings into position. A simple locking mechanism could then be used to stop the wings flexing during glide-time.

Another project idea...

Cheers, Jamie B.
JSB Rocketry
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCczlD-uBjlYdJyBFEfuCEbg/feed

Jamie Bignell,
jamie.s.bignell@gmail.com
Somerset UK

"The important thing is to know how to take all things quietly" -Michael Faraday.
rumnass
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by rumnass »

yea the wings we made were cardboard covered in duck tape.

to save weight might fibre or wooden rods linked with a light fabric like a bin liner work, copying a wing of a bat some what.
Blenderite
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Blenderite »

I am considering trying one of these: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... ouse_.html

That way I can make any rocket glide!!
-Blenderite

Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/Blenderite

"Get it right, then go for GREATNESS!"
rumnass
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by rumnass »

That looks good will have to find a large area for that, or would it be worth the effort to have steering control. I know that at least a few people have mentioned R.C. parachute deployment. could that kind of setup have a simple yaw control. This would give a long flight time but you wont lose it over the horizon.
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

rumnass wrote:Maybe this is a question only aimed at us water rockets but here it goes.
I am very new to this water rocketry game,but having a look at the new launch pad technology I am impressed.

so with the dual servo timer parachute deployment, will it be possible to launch a water rocket and deploy wings at or near after apogee
and then deploy a parachute or flaps or what ever to slow it down to land.
if so has any one done anything similar or could you so me where to look.

one reason I am asking that I recently made my first water rocket with my 8 yr old son, with a lack of any good rubber bands (only loom bands) to make a parachute system.
I had decided that a good way to bring the rocket down safely was to have wings to make it glide down, I defiantly over cooked the psi at about 100psi. All we saw was a mass of plastic and duck tape floating back down to earth luckily the nose cone was ok ish and on site repair meant we could at least launch a lawn dart without spike.

Kev.
It really should be pretty easy to make something that did what you describe. There are a lot of ideas and not enough time to try them all, so we need more people like you who enjoy experimenting and trying things like this. There are plenty of people with websites showing how to make a glider, all you need to do is adapt a design to make the wings fold and open somehow. It seems like it should not be terribly hard. Good luck!
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison