Could it be? Squeeze tube PLP

Discussions about rockets, construction materials, adhesives, nozzles, nosecones and fin design.
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Could it be? Squeeze tube PLP

Post by bugwubber »

Picked this up at HD.
tmp_11297-20141004_1940151385982773.jpg
tmp_11297-20141004_1940151385982773.jpg (3.46 MiB) Viewed 51 times
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: Could it be? Squeeze tube PLP

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

bugwubber wrote:Picked this up at HD.
tmp_11297-20141004_1940151385982773.jpg

WOW! THAT IS AWESOME!

Does this imply that perhaps this might be available in countries where it was not previously sold? Even if not, perhaps this means someone could more easily ship this from the USA to someone else?

Great find!
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
Jtrops
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Jtrops »

Based on your post I went down the paint aisle at HD today and picked up a tube. It would be nice if they start selling the "Fast Grab" 8x, but for now it's nice to get it in the tube at all. This will make it easier to manage the glue without having to use a caulking gun.
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

Jtrops wrote:Based on your post I went down the paint aisle at HD today and picked up a tube. It would be nice if they start selling the "Fast Grab" 8x, but for now it's nice to get it in the tube at all. This will make it easier to manage the glue without having to use a caulking gun.
Awesome! I wonder if they will follow with that or just decided that 8x was too thick to hand squeeze. 8x is just perfect for setting fins free hand. I guess I'll have to break down and build a a fin guide box because I like the tube too much to go back.
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
U.S. Water Rockets
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets »

bugwubber wrote:
Jtrops wrote:Based on your post I went down the paint aisle at HD today and picked up a tube. It would be nice if they start selling the "Fast Grab" 8x, but for now it's nice to get it in the tube at all. This will make it easier to manage the glue without having to use a caulking gun.
Awesome! I wonder if they will follow with that or just decided that 8x was too thick to hand squeeze. 8x is just perfect for setting fins free hand. I guess I'll have to break down and build a a fin guide box because I like the tube too much to go back.
The 8X just seems to have more filler in it. It does not seem to be any stronger than the 3x stuff. It is a little bit on the thick side for making good spliced bottles. We prefer the 3x for that.
Jtrops
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Jtrops »

Yeah I just spliced some bottles yesterday with the 3x. I like it for the "fast grab" quality, and never really considered the 8x property ver important. As long as it's wrong enough to hold my fins on to the slick plastic I'm good.

I wonder how they are determining the overall strength, and if in some way it is 5x stronger than the 3x.
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

Jtrops wrote:Yeah I just spliced some bottles yesterday with the 3x. I like it for the "fast grab" quality, and never really considered the 8x property ver important. As long as it's wrong enough to hold my fins on to the slick plastic I'm good.

I wonder how they are determining the overall strength, and if in some way it is 5x stronger than the 3x.
Well, that's where they are being a little dishonest with you. Here's what they say in the fine print:

"PL Premium Fast Grab is 8 times stronger than ordinary
solvent based construction adhesives during initial 24 hour cure."

So, really the only difference, as USWR said, is just filler to make it thicker during initial cure time.

Obviously that has its benefits for setting fins but causes issues when trying to glue tight fitting pieces like splices together.
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
U.S. Water Rockets
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets »

bugwubber wrote:
Jtrops wrote:Yeah I just spliced some bottles yesterday with the 3x. I like it for the "fast grab" quality, and never really considered the 8x property ver important. As long as it's wrong enough to hold my fins on to the slick plastic I'm good.

Well, that's where they are being a little dishonest with you. Here's what they say in the fine print:

"PL Premium Fast Grab is 8 times stronger than ordinary
solvent based construction adhesives during initial 24 hour cure."

So, really the only difference, as USWR said, is just filler to make it thicker during initial cure time.

Obviously that has its benefits for setting fins but causes issues when trying to glue tight fitting pieces like splices together.

In a splice, you want the thinner type because it will flow into imperfections of the joint and get into the grooves you sand into the plastic. The thicker kind will be harder to spread and it will not flow as well.

There's also the other extreme, like "gorilla glue" which is as thin as pancake syrup and won't stay put when you splice the bottles. The PLP 3X is just the right thickness.