40mm ID

Discussions about rockets, construction materials, adhesives, nozzles, nosecones and fin design.
rumnass
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

40mm ID

Post by rumnass »

]A few questions to you guys please. I have ran a few numbers in a simulator but the bottle I have can not be entered as they have a inside diameter of 40mm (they are 5l juice bottle made from pet). any way I came to the conclusion that they need a smaller nozzle. at first I wanted the pressure part of the rocket untouched but that will mean a large launch tube with to much initial thrust. here is a pic
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9 ... Spj9FyckqQ
[attachment=0]juice.jpg[/attachment
so do you think it will be easier to modify the caps that screw onto the bottle if so any pointer I think ive got a idea of how

also at what kind of height to we need to get special permission to fly

at the moment I am using a launcher made by fullbore.

thanks kev
Attachments
5 l bottle
5 l bottle
juice.jpg (6.56 KiB) Viewed 19 times
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: 40mm ID

Post by bugwubber »

I've often wondered if Banjo connectors would work on wider nozzles.
http://m.grainger.com/mobile/product/BA ... WP2IDP2PCP

My 30mm ID rocket does just fine. I'd be willing to try full bore before building a reduced nozzle.

Anyway, the largest question before you is whether that Orange drink is carbonated. If not, chances are great the PET that bottle is made out of was not designed for high pressure. You might want to run a pressure test on the bottle before expending effort building a launcher for it.
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
rumnass
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by rumnass »

sadly they are just squash not carbonated ill shelf this idea for another day I think.
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

rumnass wrote:sadly they are just squash not carbonated ill shelf this idea for another day I think.

That sucks. Oh well, keep your eyes open. Maybe some other cool bottles will come to light.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison