Its here again !!

Discussions about rockets, construction materials, adhesives, nozzles, nosecones and fin design.
Alchemicallife
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Its here again !!

Post by Alchemicallife »

Sooo.. long time no see guys.
So its Science Olympiad Time again and this year is a bit different
In the most condensed form i can get this into , is im launching a water rocket with and egg on top and when the rocket lands the Egg cant be broken and the rocket in the air the longest will win

last year we just had to have a rocket stay in the air the longest, sadly my rockets parachute didnt deploy and caused it to plumint 100+ feet to the ground so i need help with the parachute deployment , it has to be by gravity . also im trying to fugure out where to put my egg in the rocket

all help is apreciated :D

here are the rules and scoring n' such

The competition - a. All rockets must be launched using the launcher and water provided by the supervisor.
b. Only one launch is allowed per rocket. If a team wishes to use both launches, they must have 2
rockets. The second rocket may be launched prior to retrieval of the Egg-O-Naut.
c. Teams must arrive at the competition site ready to launch. Teams must bring and wear safety glasses
for loading, launching, and retrieving their rockets. Teams must also present labels from the pressure
vessel if labels were removed. Following the safety inspection of each rocket, teams will select and
load their egg and add water to each rocket. When called to launch, teams will have a total of 6
minutes to launch 1 or 2 rockets brought to the competition (only 1 launch per rocket). Only
rocket(s) launched before the time expires will be scored.
d. All rockets will be launched at 60 psi. Once the rocket is pressurized, no competitor may touch or
approach the rocket.
e. Time aloft is recorded in tenths of a second. Timing begins when the rocket separates from the launcher
and stops when the Egg-O-Naut or portion of the rocket containing the egg touches the ground, goes
out of sight, or comes to rest on a tree, building, or other obstruction.
f. The teams will retrieve their rockets and immediately show the rocket or capsule with the Egg-O-Naut
to an event inspector. Any Egg-O-Naut capsule or wrapping must be opened in the presence of an
event official.
g. Event leaders are strongly encouraged to use three independent timers on all launches. The middle
value of the three timers must be the officially recorded time.

The scoring
a. Rockets that violate a safety related rule under Construction Parameters will not be launched and
will receive participation points only
b. Any Egg-O-Naut (or portion of the rocket containing the egg) that completely detaches from the
pressure vessel will receive a 3 second bonus. Rockets whose parts (e.g. fins) do not remain linked
while aloft will not be disqualified or penalized.
c.Egg-o-nauts that can be retrieved and survive will receive a a 15 second bonus
d.The score for each rocket will be equal to its time aloft plus bonus seconds for Egg-O-Naut capsule
separation plus bonus seconds for Egg-O-Naut survival. A team’s final score for the event will be
the score for their individual rocket with the highest score in the best tier.
e.Teams violating a non-safety construction rule will have just that rocket ranked in a second tier
below teams without violations
f.Ties will be broken by the better score of each tied team’s other rocket

Thanks you

Stay safe and Stay green

~Steven with CWA
working on a group call , Creative Water Aviation (C.W.A)
U.S. Water Rockets
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: Its here again !!

Post by U.S. Water Rockets »

Alchemicallife wrote:Sooo.. long time no see guys.
So its Science Olympiad Time again and this year is a bit different
In the most condensed form i can get this into , is im launching a water rocket with and egg on top and when the rocket lands the Egg cant be broken and the rocket in the air the longest will win

last year we just had to have a rocket stay in the air the longest, sadly my rockets parachute didnt deploy and caused it to plumint 100+ feet to the ground so i need help with the parachute deployment , it has to be by gravity . also im trying to fugure out where to put my egg in the rocket

all help is apreciated :D

here are the rules and scoring n' such

The competition - a. All rockets must be launched using the launcher and water provided by the supervisor.
b. Only one launch is allowed per rocket. If a team wishes to use both launches, they must have 2
rockets. The second rocket may be launched prior to retrieval of the Egg-O-Naut.
c. Teams must arrive at the competition site ready to launch. Teams must bring and wear safety glasses
for loading, launching, and retrieving their rockets. Teams must also present labels from the pressure
vessel if labels were removed. Following the safety inspection of each rocket, teams will select and
load their egg and add water to each rocket. When called to launch, teams will have a total of 6
minutes to launch 1 or 2 rockets brought to the competition (only 1 launch per rocket). Only
rocket(s) launched before the time expires will be scored.
d. All rockets will be launched at 60 psi. Once the rocket is pressurized, no competitor may touch or
approach the rocket.
e. Time aloft is recorded in tenths of a second. Timing begins when the rocket separates from the launcher
and stops when the Egg-O-Naut or portion of the rocket containing the egg touches the ground, goes
out of sight, or comes to rest on a tree, building, or other obstruction.
f. The teams will retrieve their rockets and immediately show the rocket or capsule with the Egg-O-Naut
to an event inspector. Any Egg-O-Naut capsule or wrapping must be opened in the presence of an
event official.
g. Event leaders are strongly encouraged to use three independent timers on all launches. The middle
value of the three timers must be the officially recorded time.

The scoring
a. Rockets that violate a safety related rule under Construction Parameters will not be launched and
will receive participation points only
b. Any Egg-O-Naut (or portion of the rocket containing the egg) that completely detaches from the
pressure vessel will receive a 3 second bonus. Rockets whose parts (e.g. fins) do not remain linked
while aloft will not be disqualified or penalized.
c.Egg-o-nauts that can be retrieved and survive will receive a a 15 second bonus
d.The score for each rocket will be equal to its time aloft plus bonus seconds for Egg-O-Naut capsule
separation plus bonus seconds for Egg-O-Naut survival. A team’s final score for the event will be
the score for their individual rocket with the highest score in the best tier.
e.Teams violating a non-safety construction rule will have just that rocket ranked in a second tier
below teams without violations
f.Ties will be broken by the better score of each tied team’s other rocket

Thanks you

Stay safe and Stay green

~Steven with CWA

It sounds like this would be a good competition to introduce your classmates to the LaunchPad AlTImeter deploy system and Radial Deploy technology. You could easily adapt this to ejecting an egg on a very large parachute. As long as none of them has been looking at our website, you should be able to totally stun them with this setup.
Alchemicallife
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Alchemicallife »

as much as i would like to use that , i cant because no metal can be on the rocket including electronics, all the rules bellow would stop me from using the altimeter . this was my plan last year but they said i couldnt launch with the launchpad on my rocket

*Explosives, gases other than air, chemical
reaction, pyrotechnics, electric or electronic devices, elastic powered flight assists, throwing devices,
remote controls and tethers are prohibited at any time. All energy imparted to the rocket at launch
must originate from the water/air pressure combination. Rockets violating this rule must not be
launched; this is a safety issue

Any recovery system (such as a parachute) is allowed as long as it is
deemed safe. Potential or kinetic sources of energy may be used in the recovery system; however,
objects (such as plastic springs, rubber bands, etc.) must be in their lowest energy state at launch.

i.Metal of any type is prohibited anywhere on the rocket.
Rockets violating this rule must not be launched; this is a
safety issue.
ii. Toy or professional rockets or parts of rockets are not
allowed.

Steven
working on a group call , Creative Water Aviation (C.W.A)
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

You'd think they would consider the unreliable NOAA parachute deployment more of a safety hazard.

Memory faom, foam rubber will be.your friend.

NOAA will not work if.they are launching at an angle.

Memory foam could make a nice delayed spring to push the nose off.
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
WRA2
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by WRA2 »

Alchemicallife wrote:as much as i would like to use that , i cant because no metal can be on the rocket including electronics, all the rules bellow would stop me from using the altimeter . this was my plan last year but they said i couldnt launch with the launchpad on my rocket

*Explosives, gases other than air, chemical
reaction, pyrotechnics, electric or electronic devices, elastic powered flight assists, throwing devices,
remote controls and tethers are prohibited at any time. All energy imparted to the rocket at launch
must originate from the water/air pressure combination. Rockets violating this rule must not be
launched; this is a safety issue

Any recovery system (such as a parachute) is allowed as long as it is
deemed safe. Potential or kinetic sources of energy may be used in the recovery system; however,
objects (such as plastic springs, rubber bands, etc.) must be in their lowest energy state at launch.

i.Metal of any type is prohibited anywhere on the rocket.
Rockets violating this rule must not be launched; this is a
safety issue.
ii. Toy or professional rockets or parts of rockets are not
allowed.

Steven
What about using an "air speed flap" to trigger the USWR deploy system? That triggering system could be built using all plastic (or even wood) parts and would eliminate the need for electronics.
Lisa Walker,
:WRA2: Forum Administrator. :WRA2:
:WRA2:The Water Rocket Achievement World Record Association :WRA2:
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

That little line right there, what the heck?

This is an awesome idea- a game changer for simple rocket recovery mech.

Unfortunately it appears this rule eliminates that option since the USWR radial deploy requires a stretched rubber band.

That might just eliminate the idea of compressed memory foam to push the nosecone off as well.
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

Ok wild untested idea-
Plastic propeller on a shaft mounted in the top bottle of the rocket. Prop would be mounted solidly to the shaft. String tied to the shaft so that as the propeller and shaft spin, the string winds around the shaft and pulls a parachute out of a pocket. You could control delay with length of the string.

Less wild idea-
Drap the parachute over the outside of the rocket. Use a plastic peg or bottle cap with the threads drilled out in the center of the chute to keep it centered on the top of the rocket during launch. Attach the chute strings around the perimeter in the middle of rocket. Downside is your chute size would be limited.
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
U.S. Water Rockets
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets »

bugwubber wrote:objects (such as plastic springs, rubber bands, etc.) must be in their lowest energy state at launch.

That little line right there, what the heck?

This is an awesome idea- a game changer for simple rocket recovery mech.

Unfortunately it appears this rule eliminates that option since the USWR radial deploy requires a stretched rubber band.

That might just eliminate the idea of compressed memory foam to push the nosecone off as well.

Is that rule put in there just to make it intentionally difficult? It really makes no sense.

Look at it this way, a deploy system that works is hard enough to make without any extra restrictions. This restriction is going to make it very hard to accomplish. It makes it so limited, that there are few alternatives so you will not get much innovation, since once one person figures out a way, everyone will copy it in future contests. It's hard enough to make it reliable, and every attempt at a new idea will crash and get destroyed, so it will take forever to come up with something.