Launch spots in Los Angeles

Discussions about rockets, construction materials, adhesives, nozzles, nosecones and fin design.
SilverLaker

Launch spots in Los Angeles

Post by SilverLaker »

Hello everyone, hoping that there may be some water rocket enthusiasts from the Los Angeles area on this forum. My kids have been begging to get to build water rockets after seeing some videos on YouTube. As an engineer with an interest in all things science and modelling I'm not averse to the idea, it would be a fun project to do with them. But we live in Los Angeles (the Silverlake area) and I'm not sure where we could go to launch their creations without getting into trouble with the parks service or other authorities. Does anyone know of suitable fields in the northern Los Angeles area (Glendale, Burbank, foothills, etc.)?

Grateful for any suggestions
Blenderite
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: Launch spots in Los Angeles

Post by Blenderite »

While I know nothing of any launch sites in that area, the park service is Florida was more than happy to let me launch my rockets. What I did was right them an email with a explanation of my intentions. I explained how they were made from 2 litre soda bottles and powered with water and compressed air and had a parachute to land them softly.

I guess what I am trying to say just shoot them an email. Don't include that fact that you might have some lawn darts!!!
-Blenderite

Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/Blenderite

"Get it right, then go for GREATNESS!"
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: Launch spots in Los Angeles

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

DogLover wrote:While I know nothing of any launch sites in that area, the park service is Florida was more than happy to let me launch my rockets. What I did was right them an email with a explanation of my intentions. I explained how they were made from 2 litre soda bottles and powered with water and compressed air and had a parachute to land them softly.

I guess what I am trying to say just shoot them an email. Don't include that fact that you might have some lawn darts!!!
That sounds like a good idea. There are a number of historic parks in our area where there are a lot of wide open spaces. It would be a nice place to launch from because of the interesting scenery. Next summer we will follow your suggestion and send them an email and ask permission to launch.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison