Help please

Discussions about rockets, construction materials, adhesives, nozzles, nosecones and fin design.
kiwigunner

Help please

Post by kiwigunner »

Hi Guys, log time lurker, first time poster.

I am building a Water Rocket RPG and want to run an idea past you.

I was going to pressurize a straight piece of PVC pipe to 75-100psi and have that mounted in the rocket launcher body with the water rocket attached via the valve to the other end filled with the desired amount of water. I was going to activate the valve and the pressurized air would rush into the bottle and send it on its way.
Would this work?
Or would it be better to:

Use the cable tie method, attach the bottle to the launcher this way, and then release the compressed air into the bottle then launch it by a trigger action?
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: Help please

Post by bugwubber »

If you don't lock the rocket in place, it will shoot off at whatever psi it takes to move the rocket. If o-ring that is usually around 35-40psi. That may be a good thing safety wise? Much better to use a release if you are trying to actually aim at a target. Facemask btw.
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
kiwigunner

Post by kiwigunner »

Yeah figured full mask.

So after many hours of reading this forum (awesome place BTW) have decided to do the following:

Make the rocket attached with Clark cable tie system, use the compressed air from the storage tube to fuel the rocket and then fire by way of trigger action which will move the slider and the rocket will fly with its paint balloon warhead.
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

I used racheting clamps. After using plastic ones i decided I like the metal ones which are more durable.
tmp_29517-FB_IMG_1423190588000-1154189765.jpg
tmp_29517-FB_IMG_1423190588000-1154189765.jpg (60.24 KiB) Viewed 28 times
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.