Best adhesive for corriflute to PET bottle

Discussions about rockets, construction materials, adhesives, nozzles, nosecones and fin design.
Rocket_Scientist
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Best adhesive for corriflute to PET bottle

Post by Rocket_Scientist »

I am gluing some corriflute disks inside the bottle as bulkheads for the parachute bay.

Craft hot glue did not wet out on the bottle, and larger globs caused the hot glue to shrink the bottle.

I had some commercial hot glue from work. Similar results.

Any suggestions welcome.
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: Best adhesive for corriflute to PET bottle

Post by bugwubber »

No matter what glue you use, you must sand the slick interior of the bottle. I had a shroud line secured with only low temp hotmelt last almost a year hanging from a tree outside. 3M VHB double sided tape works really well as does all of the polyurethane glues like PL Premium. Nice thing about hot melt, if you need to remove it, alcohol is a great release agent. I have not had any glue remain stuck on unsanded interior of the bottles however.
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
U.S. Water Rockets
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: Best adhesive for corriflute to PET bottle

Post by U.S. Water Rockets »

Rocket_Scientist wrote:I am gluing some corriflute disks inside the bottle as bulkheads for the parachute bay.

Craft hot glue did not wet out on the bottle, and larger globs caused the hot glue to shrink the bottle.

I had some commercial hot glue from work. Similar results.

Any suggestions welcome.

You can do a number of things.

#1 is to forget about using glue and make some holes in the bottle that will let you thread some nylon screws into the interior of the corriflute corrugations from the outside of the bottle. You can also use some small wooden dowels instead of nylon screws.

#2 is a bit more complicated. Remember how 10 years ago (before anyone knew better), how people thought that it was a good idea to make a big curled lip on the end of a bottle after you shrunk it down to make a splice? Well, you revive that obsolete technique to make a splice on the end of a bottle and then cut the shrunken part of the bottle off and slide that ring with the curled lip on it inside your bottle and position the lip where you want the bulkhead to rest. You can glue the ring in place with PL. If you want to make the bulkhead permanent, you can make a second curled ring and position it on the opposite side of the bulkhead and it will be sandwiched between the two curled rings.