Splicing adhesives

Discussions about rockets, construction materials, adhesives, nozzles, nosecones and fin design.
PETrockets

Splicing adhesives

Post by PETrockets »

Hello everyone, in my years of building water rockets every time I made a splice i have used PL premium to glue both bottles, my problem is that I have to import the glue and that just doesn't work anymore for me. Recently I found that some people glue both both bottles with Sikaflex 11FC (which it's available in my country) an then reinforce the splice with a sleeve glued with PL Premium so my question is if there's any other glue that I can use to glue this "sleeve".
Thanks
kitestring
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Re: Splicing adhesives

Post by kitestring »

PETrockets wrote:Hello everyone, in my years of building water rockets every time I made a splice i have used PL premium to glue both bottles, my problem is that I have to import the glue and that just doesn't work anymore for me. Recently I found that some people glue both both bottles with Sikaflex 11FC (which it's available in my country) an then reinforce the splice with a sleeve glued with PL Premium so my question is if there's any other glue that I can use to glue this "sleeve".
Thanks
If you are OK with pressures around 100psi and on small bottles like 1 lite and 1.25L then you should have no issue with 11FC. Its not as good as PL, but i don't import it either. A couple of 2 litre splices have let go around 95psi with 11FC but most of them seem Ok up to 100psi. I don't bother with any outer sleeving. Just make sure the slices are done really well. You can still have fun a lower pressures. I haven't tested any rockets above 115psi yet... My average pressure is 90psi. cheers hope that helps.
motorcyclepilot
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by motorcyclepilot »

I have built a 5 liter pressure vessel using four 1.25l bottles. Two assemblies of two bottles each, spliced. Two of the spliced assemblies are coupled together with a tornado tube type coupler I made myself from two caps and a small section of thin-walled pvc.

I spliced the bottles with Loctite (tm) PL premium and glued the coupler with 5 minute epoxy.

The entire assembly survived for ten minutes at 120+ psi (water filled, for safety) with no detectable leakage.

I believe with MOST adhesives that the glues work mechanically with PET, so roughening the surfaces to be glued is important.
Alien Space Agency
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Alien Space Agency »

Anyone heard about builders bond? The description really appeals to me. It says its flexible, strong bond but... its solvent based. Should I buy it? Its as cheap as silicone.
Nothing can stop a curious mind from inventing- Anonymous
Discovery WR
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Discovery WR »

You can also use Bison Combi Power. It's a 2 component strong PU glue. But if you do some research of glue company's, there must be more strong PU based glues.
Alien Space Agency
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Alien Space Agency »

Oh, I did forget to mention that PU sealants are widely available here. But no PU adhesives. Thats why I am looking for an alternative, aside from epoxy.
Nothing can stop a curious mind from inventing- Anonymous
beginingrocket
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by beginingrocket »

When I splice water rockets I generally use pl premium,but that's just me