Splicing adhesives

Discussions about rockets, construction materials, adhesives, nozzles, nosecones and fin design.
PETrockets

Splicing adhesives

Post by PETrockets »

Hello everyone, in my years of building water rockets every time I made a splice i have used PL premium to glue both bottles, my problem is that I have to import the glue and that just doesn't work anymore for me. Recently I found that some people glue both both bottles with Sikaflex 11FC (which it's available in my country) an then reinforce the splice with a sleeve glued with PL Premium so my question is if there's any other glue that I can use to glue this "sleeve".
Thanks
skysaber89
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: Splicing adhesives

Post by skysaber89 »

I don't know what country you hail from, but I'm sure you could find any variety of two part epoxies to use. I have tried using loctite brand "marine epoxy," It has worked very well, and is a very strong adhesive. If the need arises, it also can be applied while underwater, hence the name "marine." It has high strength rating, at least as far as I'm aware. The rocket I used it on has never leaked, and it has sustained pressures up to 150 psi.
RaketfuedRockets
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by RaketfuedRockets »

Check out Ponal PUR 12, it should be available in the europe and many other countries around the world.
We used this adhesive for a long time, but it's getting leaky at 9-10 Bar (130 - 145 psi).
If you combine this glue with Sikaflex 11FC, everything should work great.
Greetings from Germany
Team Raketfued
RaketfuedRockets - Building water rockets since 2011
Check out our YouTube-Channel: www.youtube.com/Raketfued
Check out our website: www.raketfuedrockets.com
Facebook Page: www.facebook.com/RaketfuedRockets
Maru Ivan Rico
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Maru Ivan Rico »

skysaber89 wrote:I don't know what country you hail from, but I'm sure you could find any variety of two part epoxies to use. I have tried using loctite brand "marine epoxy," It has worked very well, and is a very strong adhesive. If the need arises, it also can be applied while underwater, hence the name "marine." It has high strength rating, at least as far as I'm aware. The rocket I used it on has never leaked, and it has sustained pressures up to 150 psi.

Well you could also use the cheaper 24hr epoxy, and it never leaks. Just a note, it sags as it cures, so try to position the splice female end up. That way the epoxy will stay inside the splice. If done well, then the splice will be airtight. Another tip, try making the splice loose, then try joining them as far as it will go. Then mark the point where the bottles meet, and complete it with a circumferential line. Now add the epoxy to the female side, then join it while twisting it. If ever air bubbles appear, try separating the splice then put it back again, but twist it as it goes. That way, it spreads the epoxy evenly. Leave it to cure for a minimum of 3 days.