Maximum distance?

Discussions about rockets, construction materials, adhesives, nozzles, nosecones and fin design.
headkick

Maximum distance?

Post by headkick »

I'm new here, and my school has a project on water powered rockets, with the ones that can reach at around 150-200m get a perfect grade. Any help on how to get my rocket to go the distance?

I was thinking of using a tennis ball for the nose, and for the fins, about palm in width and a finger in length. I already made the body, where I just cut the nose of one bottle and attached it to the end of another.

We also have three days to build one.
anoymous

Re: Maximum distance?

Post by anoymous »

I suggest not using a tennis ball: it is too heavy and because of the hairs it produces a lot of drag. I think it would be better to use a table tennis ball, or a plastic egg or something like said in the USWR's tutorial (http://www.uswaterrockets.com/construct ... torial.htm).
Maybe something with a golf ball pattern will further improve the flight, but this needs testing first. It worked on Mythbusters car, but I don't think it is already tested on a water rocket. If splicing and coupling is allowed, I would reccomend it for a bigger tank. Do you mean a horizontal distance or an altitude? if you mean horizontal, wings are also recommended.
Sorry for the late answer.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein

Sorry for malconstructions in my sentences, I am Belgian. And I was never good at making easy sentences.
anoymous

Post by anoymous »

I just saw jour 3 day deadline. I think splicing needs more curing time than you still have.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein

Sorry for malconstructions in my sentences, I am Belgian. And I was never good at making easy sentences.
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

What size bottle are you using?
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
anoymous

Post by anoymous »

How did it go?
- Albert Einstein