21 Liter Booster

Discussions about rockets, construction materials, adhesives, nozzles, nosecones and fin design.
Batkiter

21 Liter Booster

Post by Batkiter »

I like to introduce my 21 Liter booster, build from 3 liter lemonlime bottles, parachute release with airflap. 30mm nozzle. 800mm
roundparachute. Airpressure 7bar.

Regards Batkiter
Attachments
21 Liter Booster.jpg
PICT0325.JPG
PICT0323.JPG
Tim Chen
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: 21 Liter Booster

Post by Tim Chen »

Wow! That's BIG! I hope you can take some video of that rocket in flight for us. I'd love to see that thing moving!

I have to ask what the function of the fins on the top of the rocket is. Are they flaps for the deploy system or are they used to stabilize the rocket?
Tim Chen
Captain, Team Enterprise
Batkiter

Post by Batkiter »

Tim Chen wrote:Wow! That's BIG! I hope you can take some video of that rocket in flight for us. I'd love to see that thing moving!

I have to ask what the function of the fins on the top of the rocket is. Are they flaps for the deploy system or are they used to stabilize the rocket?
Hi Tim!

These fins are only for stabilisation, the flaps for the deploy system are between two fins.

Batkiter
da-water

Post by da-water »

REALLYYYYYYYYYYYY nice!!! beautiful!
2 questions: how did you connect the bottles??
can you post a photo of the bottle that you used? i'm interested in this 3litres bottle with 30mm nozzle!

p.s.: it would be great if you told us more details, like diameter, height, weight and so on...
D.D. ROCKETS

if you don't uderstand what I wrote, tell me it and i'll write better the same thing !!! :D
Batkiter

Post by Batkiter »

da-water wrote:REALLYYYYYYYYYYYY nice!!! beautiful!
2 questions: how did you connect the bottles??
can you post a photo of the bottle that you used? i'm interested in this 3litres bottle with 30mm nozzle!

p.s.: it would be great if you told us more details, like diameter, height, weight and so on...
of

Well, here the parameter of 21 liter booster:

I connect the rocket with with my own coupling system, just like robinson couplings. I build the parts on my lathe from aluminum and POM. These are bottom-bottom couplings and neck to neck couplings.

Details of the rocket:

Heigth 2900mm
Weigth 1600 grams (1,6 kg)
Diameter 124mm
Nozzle 30mm
Cable tie release
Pressure 7-8bar

Greetings to Italy!

Regards Batkiter
Attachments
Connecting parts made by Batkiter
Connecting parts made by Batkiter
The bottle on rigth is the 3 liter<br />lemonlime bottle.
The bottle on rigth is the 3 liter
lemonlime bottle.
Bonami
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Bonami »

What beverages do you get to obtain the 3l bottle? I too am very interested in this size bottle.

Love the booster!
Team Seneca
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Team Seneca »

Batkiter, did you invent those Robinson couplings yourself? How do you install them in the bottle? They look round and smooth, so how do you tighten them in place down in the bottom? Friction on the gasket?
Bill W.
Team Seneca
Batkiter

21 Liter Booster

Post by Batkiter »

Bonami wrote:What beverages do you get to obtain the 3l bottle? I too am very interested in this size bottle.

Love the booster!
Hi Bonami!

Where is your launcharea? Where are you from?

Regards Batkiter
Batkiter

21 Liter Booster

Post by Batkiter »

quote="Team Seneca"]Batkiter, did you invent those Robinson couplings yourself? How do you install them in the bottle? They look round and smooth, so how do you tighten them in place down in the bottom? Friction on the gasket?[/quote]

Hallo Bill, chief of team Seneca!

Yes, i invent these couplingsystem myself! For assembling i use specialtools, developt myself too. Under both nuts are O-Rings, therefore, no friction on the bottle. On surface from both nuts i made a radiuscave, for O-Ring fixing.

Regards Batkiter
da-water

Post by da-water »

what is the internal coupling diameter??
have you already done the burst test?? if yes, what is the maximum pressure that your lemonade bottle can hold??
D.D. ROCKETS

if you don't uderstand what I wrote, tell me it and i'll write better the same thing !!! :D
Batkiter

21 Liter Booster

Post by Batkiter »

quote="da-water"]what is the internal coupling diameter??
have you already done the burst test?? if yes, what is the maximum pressure that your lemonade bottle can hold??[/quote]

What do you mean? What kind of coupling? Bottom to bottom or neck to neck? These are different things!

Yes, i made the burst test. These thin wall bottles burst over 8bar. Sometimes less than 8bar. The quality is very different.
The best results you have been, when the bottles are brandnew.

Batkiter
Team Seneca
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Team Seneca »

Batkiter wrote: Hallo Bill, chief of team Seneca!

Yes, i invent these couplingsystem myself! For assembling i use specialtools, developt myself too. Under both nuts are O-Rings, therefore, no friction on the bottle. On surface from both nuts i made a radiuscave, for O-Ring fixing.

Regards Batkiter
That's a great system. I hope you don't mind if I make something similar. Of course I will give you credit. We can call this the "Batkiter Coupling"! :)
Bill W.
Team Seneca
Batkiter

Post by Batkiter »

Team Seneca wrote:
Batkiter wrote: Hallo Bill, chief of team Seneca!

Regards Batkiter
That's a great system. I hope you don't mind if I make something similar. Of course I will give you credit. We can call this the "Batkiter Coupling"! :)
I am very agree! Sounds good! Batkiter Coupling! If you want, i will build some for you.

Batkiter
da-water

Post by da-water »

Batkiter wrote:quote="da-water"]what is the internal coupling diameter??
have you already done the burst test?? if yes, what is the maximum pressure that your lemonade bottle can hold??

What do you mean? What kind of coupling? Bottom to bottom or neck to neck? These are different things!

Batkiter[/quote]

both
Batkiter wrote:quote="da-water"]what is the internal coupling diameter??

These thin wall bottles burst over 8bar. Sometimes less than 8bar.

Batkiter[/quote]
well, it would be better to use bottles that hold up to (at least) 11 bar...
D.D. ROCKETS

Tim Chen
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Tim Chen »

I want to try and make a batkiter coupling design that is just made from common PVC pipe fittings that way everyone can make them without special tools! I don't like using brass lamp rods inside my rockets. I want to try to make something with a larger diameter as well.

What does your "tool" you use to install the couplings look like?
Tim Chen
Captain, Team Enterprise