dual booster test

Discussions about rockets, construction materials, adhesives, nozzles, nosecones and fin design.
kitestring
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

dual booster test

Post by kitestring »

Gday, thought i'd share a launch from Brisbane Australia
Had fun the other day launching a test water rocket with dual drop away dual boosters.
Forgot a pressure gauge so had to guess on main rocket. Suspect we were only at 60-70psi.. Booster with 20mm nozzles at just 40-50psi by hand pump. Main rocket with 9mm nozzle. No metal components are used at all.
Used irrigation tubes and bamboo skewers (with points cut off) to join. No idea if they'll handle higher pressures but there's only one way to tell.

Boosters are just single 1.25mm bottles. Tommy timer for deployment on this test.
First launch, boosters failed to separate. After some quick alterations, the second launch went fine.

Back home to do a few of modifications...

Will launch with much larger/longer main stage next time, foam in main rocket and higher pressures etc. Just happy it worked at all. Sorry about footage but had issues driving cameras, pumping things up and launching at same time. It's a bit lame... but i am trying.
cheers J

[youtube][/youtube]
Alien Space Agency
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: dual booster test

Post by Alien Space Agency »

I also happen to have that booster design - twin 3L boosters and a 6L main stage. The nozzles are 16mm for boosters and 6.5mm for sustainer. I will post some pics about the progress. Had a mishap once though because of the launcher design.

Mishap video:

Main stage static testfire vid:
Nothing can stop a curious mind from inventing- Anonymous
kitestring
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by kitestring »

Nice try ASA! Look forward to seeing your rebuilt version. It's a great project and lots of fun.
Alien Space Agency
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

haha... looks like a water rocket version of Delta IV heavy!

Looks like everyone wanted more power, and eventually forgot Trevor Hannam's GAS design. It was a threestager (2 parallel, 1 serial), and I the two seps happen in a second, since he was using 9mm nozzles for the three core stages.

I plan to launch the rocket today, and let's see what happens. There is a gargantuan chance of losing the main stage because I fly at a very small oval (look up Mactan Air Base Oval in Maps) and I normally restrict myself to 350ft. Well noe of them even reached 300 ft, and this might be a first.

Well, kudos.

Maru
Alien Space Agency
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Oh and one more thing. I changed the nozzle size back to 9mm for the main stage.