Rocket toy design

Discussions about rockets, construction materials, adhesives, nozzles, nosecones and fin design.
T1520736x

Rocket toy design

Post by T1520736x »

Hello everyone.
I am a student in product design and I am currently working on the design of a toy. My toy is a water rocket that at its maximum height release little "star dust" which are small projectile equipped with L.E.D and that go slowly down for kid to catch.
My initial idea was to use the pressure difference (initial and after thrust) within the water vessel" to release the projectile when the pressure is 1 ATM. Basicallly the valve spring/elastics are engaged when the vessel has been pressurized and when in the sky it depressurises, the piston moves down and allow the hook to slide against the spring and release them.
here is a picture of the idea. Do you think it would be possible? in term of physics, could such piston be pushed agains gravivity in order to lock the spring/elastics?
btw this will all happen in the nozzle of the rocket.
thank you for your help in advanced.
Attachments
valve_diagram.jpg
valve_diagram.jpg (219.81 KiB) Viewed 21 times
Alien Space Agency
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: Rocket toy design

Post by Alien Space Agency »

Wait, where will you put the mechanism on? Nosecone or nozzle?
Nothing can stop a curious mind from inventing- Anonymous
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

Yes, I have had built a small pressure switch that was a simple metal plunger that pushed up through two caps that had been glued together. The function was to simply push a momentary switch though. You will need some force pushing back like elastic. Gravity cannot be counted because it acts on all of the objects with the same force. I used plastic film over the plunger to keep it from leaking.
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
Alien Space Agency
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Try to look at Air Command's PS3 switch used on Acceleron Vc. Its basically Bugwubber's switch, but yeah, he used rubber tyre to seal (instead of plastic film)
Alien Space Agency
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Try to look at Air Command's PS3 switch used on Acceleron Vc. Its basically Bugwubber's switch, but yeah, he used rubber tyre to seal (instead of plastic film)
Alien Space Agency
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Oops, sorry for double messages.