Other uses for PET Bottles besides making rockets!

Discussions about rockets, construction materials, adhesives, nozzles, nosecones and fin design.
Aquafire
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Other uses for PET Bottles besides making rockets!

Post by Aquafire »

I thought it would be neat to start a topic where we can talk about other stuff we do with bottles. Here's my favorite use and is where my handle is from.

You can use the bottle to light a campfire!!!

Try it it really works! You can amaze your friends, or make them bet you you can't start a fire with a bottle of water and nothing else and you can take their money from them! LOL!

http://www.metacafe.com/fplayer/1293564 ... method.swf
dongfang
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: Other uses for PET Bottles besides making rockets!

Post by dongfang »

Hi,

Hehe...

I thought of using them as model aircraft fuselages. They are quite oki doke for that.. and if one keeps the avionics in the front bottle and seal all the others, one can pressurize the fuselage. Makes it real stiff.

Regards
Soren
Andromeda

Post by Andromeda »

Aquafire wrote:I thought it would be neat to start a topic where we can talk about other stuff we do with bottles. Here's my favorite use and is where my handle is from.

Try it it really works! You can amaze your friends, or make them bet you you can't start a fire with a bottle of water and nothing else and you can take their money from them! LOL!

No offense but I don't believe that's real. Look closely and you can see the video is edited. I doubt that a bottle can focus the light enough to work.
Andromeda
No matter where you go, there you are.
- Buckaroo Bansia
Tim Chen
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Tim Chen »

Andromeda wrote:
Aquafire wrote:I thought it would be neat to start a topic where we can talk about other stuff we do with bottles. Here's my favorite use and is where my handle is from.

No offense but I don't believe that's real. Look closely and you can see the video is edited. I doubt that a bottle can focus the light enough to work.
I noticed that too. I want to test it out myself but by the time we got home from our holiday and I got caught up on all these messages the sun was setting.
Tim Chen
Captain, Team Enterprise
Aquafire
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aquafire »

It really is true! Never mind that first video, here's a couple of clips from a news program where they are talking about some guy in australia that melted the seat in his car when he left a water bottle in the cupholder. They're arguing about putting warnings on cupholders and redesigning bottles as a result! I told you it was true! :twisted:
Attachments
fg_jeep1.WMV
Guy burns Jeep with Water Bottle Part 1
(6.69 MiB) Downloaded 293 times
fg_jeep2.WMV
Guy burns Jeep with Water Bottle Part 2
(6.07 MiB) Downloaded 296 times
Tim Chen
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Tim Chen »

Aquafire wrote:It really is true! Never mind that first video, here's a couple of clips from a news program where they are talking about some guy in australia that melted the seat in his car when he left a water bottle in the cupholder. They're arguing about putting warnings on cupholders and redesigning bottles as a result! I told you it was true! :twisted:
I stand corrected! That's pretty wild. I never would have thought that this would work much less happen by accident.

I'm not sure why the guy was pounding on the car industry dude to do something to fix the problem, it seems like it would be a lot more logical to go after the water companies to make their bottles without the lens effect or at least print a warning on the bottle. Why this is the fault of the car company is beyond my understanding.
Tim Chen
Captain, Team Enterprise
Bicky 51

Post by Bicky 51 »

it is possible ever tried to light a fire with a magnifying glass? thats all the water was doing magnifying the sun like a magnifying glass.
Mark Chen
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Mark Chen »

I wouldn't have guessed that a bottle could be a perfect lens like that. That's very cool. I wonder why they don't do this on "Survivorman" or "Man vs. Wild"?
Mark Chen
Team Enterprise
dwrrule
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by dwrrule »

How about keeping BUGs an BEEs out of your drink when your outside
Attachments
IMG_0175.jpg
Tim Chen
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Tim Chen »

dwrrule wrote:How about keeping BUGs an BEEs out of your drink when your outside
Good one!

It's funny because I saw your picture come up before I read what you wrote and I thought for a second that you had a picture of a can inside a bottle, like a "ship in a bottle". That would be a neat trick! I started to write a reply asking how you did it and then I read the text! D'OH!
Tim Chen
Captain, Team Enterprise
dwrrule
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by dwrrule »

lol i use this a lot it works great. have you ever went to take a drink of pop an get a mouth full of BEE not fun!!!!
Brian
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Brian »

i use my bottles to drink out of. hehe.
Ascender Water Rockets
http://ascenderwaterrockets.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCS2NHXS-VFxEux70DCINR0w
nzdnb

Post by nzdnb »

Aquafire wrote:It really is true! Never mind that first video, here's a couple of clips from a news program where they are talking about some guy in australia that melted the seat in his car when he left a water bottle in the cupholder. They're arguing about putting warnings on cupholders and redesigning bottles as a result! I told you it was true! :twisted:
LOL! This isn't Australian, its New Zealand. Believe it or not this show is normally the most viewed program in New Zealand and I remember when this episode aired.