Glue and Bottle recomendations, UK please

Discussions about rockets, construction materials, adhesives, nozzles, nosecones and fin design.
rockhopper
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Glue and Bottle recomendations, UK please

Post by rockhopper »

Hi

I'm new here and UK based!
I'm struggling to find the glue that is recommended for splicing bottles.
The only one I can find is the Bison Bisonite, but even that I have to get by mail order!
Is there anything that I can get from B&Q, Wicks etc?
Also is there a preferred bottle you guys use? A lot of the drinks manufactures seem to be moving away from smooth sides to more sculpted designs, again any recommendations for a newbee?

Thanks
RH
anoymous

Re: Glue and Bottle recomendations, UK please

Post by anoymous »

I can't help you on the glue, but pepsi bottles and shweppes bottles are generally quite smooth.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein

Sorry for malconstructions in my sentences, I am Belgian. And I was never good at making easy sentences.
addstogether
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by addstogether »

It's getting hard to find smooth sided bottles here in Aus. Pepsi and Schweppes are almost the only ones here

Al
Alien Space Agency
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Alien Space Agency »

Well here in PH as well. Our coke, sprite and royal (fanta) have become curvaceous, and only half of the bottles are straight sided.
Nothing can stop a curious mind from inventing- Anonymous
Jamie5335
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Jamie5335 »

Hi there,

As for glue, I use Titebond glue from Axminster Tool Center (it comes with a Purple label). I am based in the South West, but have a hunt around- you are looking for a Polyurethane based glue. Thats the secret ingredient for gluing these plastic bottles. I didn't have much luck with the Superstores. I found that smaller DIY shops sell Polyurethane glues. Gorilla Glue would also work in that respect, although it is quite runny but nothing a bit of kitchen roll can't help.

Bottles are tricky. I find Salisburys branded lemonade is good. They are thick with smooth sides (ribs are generally needed for strength as bottles are getting thinner). Another aspect I look for is 3 threads on the bottle itself, which make readily available Tornado Tubes usable on your rocket.

Jamie B
JSB Rocketry
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCczlD-uBjlYdJyBFEfuCEbg/feed

Jamie Bignell,
jamie.s.bignell@gmail.com
Somerset UK

"The important thing is to know how to take all things quietly" -Michael Faraday.
Alien Space Agency
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Alien Space Agency »

I've found out just now that there's another PU glue out in the field. Anyone here tested the Elmer's Glue-All MAX?
Nothing can stop a curious mind from inventing- Anonymous