ballon inside water rocket to increase air speed release

Discussions about rockets, construction materials, adhesives, nozzles, nosecones and fin design.
RaZias
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

ballon inside water rocket to increase air speed release

Post by RaZias »

I was wondering what would happen if someone inserted a empety ballon inside a bottle.

In beggining the ballon would fill all the empety space inside the rocket and the ballon wouldn´t blow of due to the resistance of the bottle´s wall (for this the ballon was to be able to accomodate the shape of the bottle, maybe a water ballon or a smaller bottle).

To the ballon could fill the space it would require a hole in the bottle (or it be without the cap and put the cap after filling the ballon) so that the air between the bottle and ballon wouldn´t compress down the ballon.

In the end I think that the elastic return of the ballon would increase the air release speed. So the same bottle pressure would have more air release force.

The problem is that after the ballon stars to empety it will create a voide in the space between the bottle and the ballon decrease would be slowed down.

Who knows what would happen with a ballon empety inside another empety one, maybe would double the aire release speed.
It necessary to have precaution with ballon weight.

I think someone should try it!
Research and Development is the soul of WR
Tim Chen
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: ballon inside water rocket to increase air speed release

Post by Tim Chen »

RaZias wrote:I was wondering what would happen if someone inserted a empety ballon inside a bottle.

In beggining the ballon would fill all the empety space inside the rocket and the ballon wouldn´t blow of due to the resistance of the bottle´s wall (for this the ballon was to be able to accomodate the shape of the bottle, maybe a water ballon or a smaller bottle).

To the ballon could fill the space it would require a hole in the bottle (or it be without the cap and put the cap after filling the ballon) so that the air between the bottle and ballon wouldn´t compress down the ballon.

In the end I think that the elastic return of the ballon would increase the air release speed. So the same bottle pressure would have more air release force.

The problem is that after the ballon stars to empety it will create a voide in the space between the bottle and the ballon decrease would be slowed down.

Who knows what would happen with a ballon empety inside another empety one, maybe would double the aire release speed.
It necessary to have precaution with ballon weight.

I think someone should try it!

I think a balloon would be too fragile for this type of thing. The reason this is true you touched upon in your description: if you put the balloon inside the bottle then you need air holes to let the air escape from between the bottle and the balloon. If you put very much pressure inside the balloon, it would try and come out of the bottle through the air holes and it would probably burst from the pressure trying to come out one small point.
Tim Chen
Captain, Team Enterprise
Tim Chen
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Tim Chen »

Maybe a stronger rubber "balloon" would give better results? Something made from an inner tube from a tire could possibly work better.
Tim Chen
Captain, Team Enterprise
Brian
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Brian »

theres something just like that on deans benchtop.
http://www.et.byu.edu/~wheeler/benchtop/balloon.php
Ascender Water Rockets
http://ascenderwaterrockets.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCS2NHXS-VFxEux70DCINR0w
Tim Chen
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Tim Chen »

Brian wrote:theres something just like that on deans benchtop.
http://www.et.byu.edu/~wheeler/benchtop/balloon.php
I never saw that before! Cool.
Tim Chen
Captain, Team Enterprise