First time making a water bottle rocket

Discussions about rockets, construction materials, adhesives, nozzles, nosecones and fin design.
Ootharju

First time making a water bottle rocket

Post by Ootharju »

Hi everyone! I'm new to this site and making water bottle rockets. I have to make a water bottle rocket that follows these 3 rules for my engineering task:
1. As the body is a pressure vessel, no hole, slit or splicing two bottles together is allowable.
2. Fins, wings and a nose cone can be added to ensure stability.
3. Small weights can be added as long as they are enclosed in the nose cone and are unable to be
dislodged during landing (or a controlled crash).
4. The rocket must travel a minimum of 50 metres in distance, not height.

If anyone could show me some designs and some basic instructions on how to make the rocket, that'll be really appreciated! Thanks!
Ootharju

Re: First time making a water bottle rocket

Post by Ootharju »

I had forgotten to say it needed to be made out of soft drink bottles, and nothing else. :?
addstogether2
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by addstogether2 »

Hi and welcome to the forum.

There are plenty of designs and instructions on this site and many of the other individual web sites that will help you.

http://www.aircommandrockets.com/

us water rockets .... and plenty of others

regards Al
Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.
"Albert Einstein"
Ootharju

Post by Ootharju »

addstogether2 wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 7:15 am Hi and welcome to the forum.

There are plenty of designs and instructions on this site and many of the other individual web sites that will help you.

http://www.aircommandrockets.com/home/

us water rockets .... and plenty of others

regards Al
Will give this a try, thanks! :D
anachronist
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by anachronist »

A rocket that doesn't need a recovery system (it stays in one piece the whole flight) is easy enough to construct. Your main project will be the launcher. Believe me, that will take the most time. Your rocket sounds simple.
Ootharju

Post by Ootharju »

anachronist wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 6:17 pm A rocket that doesn't need a recovery system (it stays in one piece the whole flight) is easy enough to construct. Your main project will be the launcher. Believe me, that will take the most time. Your rocket sounds simple.
The launcher is provided by the school, but I just need to make a water rocket out of plastic soda bottles with the rules applied. Thanks!