Simple new staging mechanism

Discussions about rockets, construction materials, adhesives, nozzles, nosecones and fin design.
iskess
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: Simple new staging mechanism

Post by iskess »

So how well does it work? Did anyone test this? Does the pin hole nozzle on the sustainer produce enough thrust? Any videos?
SaskAlex
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by SaskAlex »

It works quite well. I only did one small test launch with the exact stager from this thread, but the staging mechanism worked flawlessly. I also made a rocket last year which almost broke the class B record with a very similar stager. Here is a launch with video http://www.wra2.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=1044 and here is a launch that broke the record, but didn't officially qualify because my camera didn't work http://www.wra2.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=1080. That rocket had a similar size nozzle to the nozzle on this thread. And you should note that Millenium V (or is it VIII?), the current class B record holder, only used a 1/16" diameter nozzle.

Alex
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

SaskAlex wrote:It works quite well. I only did one small test launch with the exact stager from this thread, but the staging mechanism worked flawlessly. I also made a rocket last year which almost broke the class B record with a very similar stager. Here is a launch with video http://www.wra2.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=1044 and here is a launch that broke the record, but didn't officially qualify because my camera didn't work http://www.wra2.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=1080. That rocket had a similar size nozzle to the nozzle on this thread. And you should note that Millenium V (or is it VIII?), the current class B record holder, only used a 1/16" diameter nozzle.

Alex
Is that 1/16" a typographical error? That seems awfully small even for a sustainer. At least not for a rocket with no reinforcement.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
SaskAlex
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by SaskAlex »

U.S. Water Rockets1 wrote: Is that 1/16" a typographical error? That seems awfully small even for a sustainer. At least not for a rocket with no reinforcement.
No error. According to the website (http://web.archive.org/web/200010060552 ... millen.htm) Millenium VIII had a 1/16" nozzle. And it was only launched at 90 psi. I agree though, that is really small.
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

SaskAlex wrote:
U.S. Water Rockets1 wrote: Is that 1/16" a typographical error? That seems awfully small even for a sustainer. At least not for a rocket with no reinforcement.
No error. According to the website (http://web.archive.org/web/200010060552 ... millen.htm) Millenium VIII had a 1/16" nozzle. And it was only launched at 90 psi. I agree though, that is really small.
It's possible but that tiny size just doesn't seem right.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
MrJakeFehr
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by MrJakeFehr »

Nice you kept it simple! If you get a chance to build another rocket I'd like to see some video of the launch.
Lasheyda
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Lasheyda »

Is it even possible to generate enough thrust with a nozzle that size!?!?!

I would really like to see a video (from ground of the separation.)
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Lasheyda wrote:Is it even possible to generate enough thrust with a nozzle that size!?!?!

A second stage doesn't need to make much thrust. It only needs to make sufficient thrust to maintain speed. The boosters use large thrust to accelerate the rocket and the sustainer uses minimum thrust to sustain the speed for as long as possible.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Lasheyda
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Lasheyda »

U.S. Water Rockets1 wrote:
Lasheyda wrote:Is it even possible to generate enough thrust with a nozzle that size!?!?!

A second stage doesn't need to make much thrust. It only needs to make sufficient thrust to maintain speed. The boosters use large thrust to accelerate the rocket and the sustainer uses minimum thrust to sustain the speed for as long as possible.
Oh...(should have known that DOH: DOH: )
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Lasheyda wrote:
U.S. Water Rockets1 wrote:

Oh...(should have known that DOH: DOH: )
No big deal. Just look at the rockets which have launched into space and think how they are similar. The Space shuttle for example has two huge boosters that fall off and 3 main engines with a lot less thrust. Once the boosters get the shuttle up to speed they fall off and let the main engines hold the speed.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
PTrockets
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by PTrockets »

Awesome! Very cool (and simple) mechanism! Good work!
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

I wonder if this would work with no water in the sustainer, to act as parachute deploy mechanism, or perhaps just a small amount of water to delay depressurization. Guess it could do both... My list of things to try just keeps growing!
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
Rocket Bob
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Rocket Bob »

It WAS just a little itty bitty nozzle. I know , because I am the guy with the hat on helping Bruce B. set up for launch at the Poway Powow launch fest many years ago. Many of us were running reduced nozzle diameters at the time.
My 2 liter one stagers worked very well at 3/8". I wonder what Bruce is up to. He is REALLY a sharp guy!
Tony
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Tony »

I'll have to give this a try. I keep failing with the more complicated stagers... mostly due to poor instructions during the more complicated construction steps (I'm looking at you aircommand).
"Houston, we've had a problem..."
Tony
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Tony »

Redacted
"Houston, we've had a problem..."