Second or more stage releae mechanisme

Discussions about rockets, construction materials, adhesives, nozzles, nosecones and fin design.
Batkiter

Second or more stage releae mechanisme

Post by Batkiter »

The next generation of the two-stage release with float on the inside is ready. This optimized cause can be screwed onto each 28mm PPO bottle. The size or length of the tank does not play a role, because the float can be adjusted to any length. The nozzle diameter of the second, third stage amounts to 20mm. Ergo, full thrust! For the third or fourth stage I built a smaller and easier version, with a nozzle diameter of 12mm.

I use this development for my new projekt X20 dynasoar whit 10 litre booster.

Regards Batkiter
Attachments
Raketen 864.jpg
Raketen 864.jpg (39.47 KiB) Viewed 138 times
Raketen 863.jpg
Raketen 863.jpg (35.65 KiB) Viewed 138 times
Spaceman Spiff
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: Second or more stage releae mechanisme

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Batkiter wrote:The next generation of the two-stage release with float on the inside is ready. This optimized cause can be screwed onto each 28mm PPO bottle. The size or length of the tank does not play a role, because the float can be adjusted to any length. The nozzle diameter of the second, third stage amounts to 20mm. Ergo, full thrust! For the third or fourth stage I built a smaller and easier version, with a nozzle diameter of 12mm.

I use this development for my new projekt X20 dynasoar whit 10 litre booster.

Regards Batkiter
You need a larger float than that. I tried a similar idea a while ago and discovered that a small float got sucked right through the water and into the neck of the bottle. If you have ever seen a T nozzle that same effect was seen. A lot of the water was still inside the bottle when the deploy went off and the rocket didn't go as high as expected and it deployed the parachute while coming down and ripped it off and the whole mess crashed.

A float more like a "piston" is needed to keep it from getting pulled down through the water.

The clamp portion of your design looks sweet though!
Spaceman Spiff
"What goes up, must come down"
AraChiya

Post by AraChiya »

Do you have plans on how to construct this clamp? My tribe is building a multi stage water rocket to carry a payload to make images of ELF emissions from the Earth, but I would like to save time in experimenting with stage couplers. I wondered what held the second stage in place until the lower stage dropped its pressure.
Tim Chen
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Tim Chen »

AraChiya wrote:Do you have plans on how to construct this clamp? My tribe is building a multi stage water rocket to carry a payload to make images of ELF emissions from the Earth, but I would like to save time in experimenting with stage couplers. I wondered what held the second stage in place until the lower stage dropped its pressure.
If I have to make a guess I would say that there is a clamp on the connector that holds the top stage in place, and the wooden sphere is connected to the release for the clamp. The wooden sphere is floating in the water in the lower stage and is pulled down with the water as it is expelled, that releases the upper stage.
Tim Chen
Captain, Team Enterprise
AraChiya

Post by AraChiya »

I was thinking of how it could be constructed, do you think a piston perhaps spring loaded would do better than the float? As the pressure drops, the upper stage would start to release and push the piston down thus opening the clamps?