Pulse water rocket

Discussions about rockets, construction materials, adhesives, nozzles, nosecones and fin design.
RaZias
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Pulse water rocket

Post by RaZias »

If a water rocket was propeled by pulses I think it would go higher, since part of the trip would be donne by inertia.

The problem is that a system that could do that wouldn´t compensate the weight.
Research and Development is the soul of WR
runnin_rocket_maker
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Re: Pulse water rocket

Post by runnin_rocket_maker »

I agree this is similar to an idea i had about decreasing the nozzle size of the rocket, i think both of these ideas would only work if the rocket was extremely light. but it would be very cool just to get a rocket system going that could "squirt" in pulses
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

RaZias wrote:If a water rocket was propeled by pulses I think it would go higher, since part of the trip would be donne by inertia.

The problem is that a system that could do that wouldn´t compensate the weight.
People have done this before in a way by using multiple stages. Each stage is a "pulse" in that scenario.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
Brian
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Brian »

i thuoght of making of lots of bottles spliced in a series with pop top lids or bungs with 1 way valves put in each bottle so when you launch it the the bottem bottle looses pressure causing the next bottle to blow out the lid or bung, but it would be too hard to reload
Ascender Water Rockets
http://ascenderwaterrockets.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCS2NHXS-VFxEux70DCINR0w
Jelo
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Jelo »

a lot of small bottles, each acting as a stage, maybe a big bottle at the bottom to get the others nice and straight up, only problem, a lot of nozzles, a lot of parachutes unless you only put some on the top bottles, a lot of staging mechanisms, a lot of fins... a lot of extra weight, which i think wouldnt cause the pulse rocket to go any higher than any other ones.....another idea i just got is having a big bottle full of water at the bottom and having smaller bottles that are attached to each other but with closed nozzles, they would be filled with only pressurised air and release their air only when the bottle below would be empty. the time the mechanism takes to open the nozzle would probably be enough for the rocket to go up in pulses. the advantage of that would be less weight and a rocket wich ends up in one peice.

by the way you always sugest ideas, but i never hear about your rockets, im not saying suggesting is bad cos thats what brings evolution, just wana know a little bit more you rockets :mrgreen:
Anto'

always wear a raincoat
RaZias
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by RaZias »

Jelo wrote:a lot of small bottles, each acting as a stage, maybe a big bottle at the bottom to get the others nice and straight up, only problem, a lot of nozzles, a lot of parachutes unless you only put some on the top bottles, a lot of staging mechanisms, a lot of fins... a lot of extra weight, which i think wouldnt cause the pulse rocket to go any higher than any other ones.....another idea i just got is having a big bottle full of water at the bottom and having smaller bottles that are attached to each other but with closed nozzles, they would be filled with only pressurised air and release their air only when the bottle below would be empty. the time the mechanism takes to open the nozzle would probably be enough for the rocket to go up in pulses. the advantage of that would be less weight and a rocket wich ends up in one peice.

by the way you always sugest ideas, but i never hear about your rockets, im not saying suggesting is bad cos thats what brings evolution, just wana know a little bit more you rockets :mrgreen:
Well, when I started making WR I started working so that´s why I don´t have time to make them.
It´s my first year of work so I must study a lot at home.
After that I hope to have time...

I only made two, I have a lot of projects and I think I only have time next year.
RaZias
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by RaZias »

How about making 2 discs of 9 mm each one perpendicular to the other.

So when you would look to them from the side it look an "X".

In their horizontal axis it would be a thin metalic or plastic tube so
the structure could rotate.

The structure would be inserted into the 9 mm nozzle so when the air passes it would make spin the structure.

Since the discs have the same size as the nozzle it means that when a disc is horizontal the nozzle is closed, but the air pressure would force to rotate it, making a open nozzle.

The air by being released from the nozzle would rotate the discs and that would close again the nozzle.

This idea is difficult to make in a 22mm because the launch tube gets inside.
The problem of 9 mm is that this system would cut even more the weak trusth.
Brian
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Brian »

a butterfly valve, im not sure the disks could spin to open or close.
by the way you always sugest ideas, but i never hear about your rockets, im not saying suggesting is bad cos thats what brings evolution, just wana know a little bit more you rockets
if your asking me, i spent 2 out of 3 years working on the recovery system and crashing them so not much work on the rockets. i was hoping to get my recovery system working this year and some big rockets next year but i crashed the recovery system and lost a cog wheel. :x my only 2 rockets are my Venturi-2 rocket to test recovery systems and my Ascender-1 which i designed with a circular fin which is 1cm too long to fit on my launcher and its not long enough to be stable. :x
Ascender Water Rockets
Jelo
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Jelo »

no i was talking to razias lol i never actualy saw his rockets
Anto'

always wear a raincoat
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

Brian wrote:i thuoght of making of lots of bottles spliced in a series with pop top lids or bungs with 1 way valves put in each bottle so when you launch it the the bottem bottle looses pressure causing the next bottle to blow out the lid or bung, but it would be too hard to reload
That sounds like there would be too many places where this could fail on you. Are you sure it would be worth the effort?
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
Brian
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Brian »

i dont think it's worth the effort, unless your trying for the class A record otherwise stick to interstaging. it would be good if possible though.
Ascender Water Rockets
Jelo
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Jelo »

i think if it made a slight advantage, the weight of the mechanism would create a small disadvantage. +x-x=0 , no advantage!
Anto'

always wear a raincoat
TDFwaterrockets
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by TDFwaterrockets »

the pulse would mean that the water would take longer to leave the rocket and then making the rocket unstable because the CG would be too far back!
RaZias
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by RaZias »

How about this:

You put a vertical plastic stick inside the rocket. That stick would have 22mm plugs spaced by 3mm from the others.

The stick by getting out would get ejected, so the plugs will pass trough the nozzle one by one making a pulse jet.

--- So where it fails ?

To work the lowest plug would have to be in the nozzle so it would catch the air impulse to eject the stick.
Being in the nozzle would avoid to pressurise the rocket...

--- Solution ?

You won´t need to put a plug in the nozzle, there would be a rope tied to the lowest part of the stick, the other part of the rope would be tied inside the launch tube of the launcher.

The rope would have like Y meters, so the rocket could accelarate.
When the Y height is reached, the rope is tight so the stick would be forced to ejected causing the pulse jet.

The problem is finding the correct Y height in wich the rocket would still have air to eject the stick.

--- Simplier solutions anyone ? (...)