Scales

Discussions about rockets, construction materials, adhesives, nozzles, nosecones and fin design.
millermw2
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Scales

Post by millermw2 »

What are the best scales to use to measure the weight of the rocket?

Mike
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: Scales

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

millermw2 wrote:What are the best scales to use to measure the weight of the rocket?

Mike
A small digital postage scale will work fine and you should be able to find one for a very low cost at an office supply store.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
rockets-in-brighton

Post by rockets-in-brighton »

millermw2 wrote:What are the best scales to use to measure the weight of the rocket?

Mike
I pilfer the kitchen scales when no-one is looking. Simple flat surface, digital readout, accurate to +/- 2g which is good enough for my purposes..
Cheers
Steve
Rockets-in-Brighton
WEB: http://groups.google.co.uk/group/rockets-in-brighton
RebelRockets
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by RebelRockets »

We had a small digital scale that went unused for over a year. Of course when I wanted to use it to weigh a rocket, it no longer worked. Rather than waste more money to replace it I made a simple hanging balance scale.
Take a strong straight rod of some kind, mark the exact center and two places an equal distance from the center near the ends. Tie a string at the center and hang the rod from overhead. Tie a small plastic jar hanging from one end mark, hang a string from the other end mark. Fasten a small counter-weight on the rod's end opposite the jar to balance the rod level. If you can get one, attach a very small bubble level at the center of the rod. If not, use your own visual sense of level. You will hang the object to weigh on the string. The jar will hold objects of known weight to add up to get the weight of your rocket or component.
Where do you get objects of known weight? American pennies minted after 1982 supposedly weigh 2.5 grams each so that is what I use. Find something small made of uniform size like ball bearings, metal washers or nuts, etc. and have one weighed on an accurate scale.
This may not give legal measurements but it is handy for making comparisons of your work in progress, it can be made for very little expense and will work forever.
millermw2
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by millermw2 »

Thanks for the information guys. You all are a great bunch!

Mike