Variable nozzle

Discussions about rockets, construction materials, adhesives, nozzles, nosecones and fin design.
RaZias
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Variable nozzle

Post by RaZias »

I think it´s possible to put a disc inside a nozzle to work like a varable nozzle.

The nozzle would have 22 mm, and the disc would have like 10 mm.
The horizontal disc would be inside the nozzle with a horizontal metalic wire going from one point to another of the disc, so the wire would work like an axis of rotation.

As the air passes the disc will rotate, when it´s horizontal the nozzle would have 12mm, when vertical 22 mm.

So the the rocket would have a variable pulse, but it would have 2 backdraws:

1 - you can´t decide to use 22 mm in the startup and 12 mm at the end, since it will variate during all the travel.

2 - it may give a directional trusth to the sides since it is rotating,
making it unstable.
Research and Development is the soul of WR
rockets-in-brighton

Re: Variable nozzle

Post by rockets-in-brighton »

RaZias wrote:I think it´s possible to put a disc inside a nozzle to work like a varable nozzle.

The nozzle would have 22 mm, and the disc would have like 10 mm.
The horizontal disc would be inside the nozzle with a horizontal metalic wire going from one point to another of the disc, so the wire would work like an axis of rotation.

As the air passes the disc will rotate, when it´s horizontal the nozzle would have 12mm, when vertical 22 mm.

So the the rocket would have a variable pulse, but it would have 2 backdraws:

1 - you can´t decide to use 22 mm in the startup and 12 mm at the end, since it will variate during all the travel.

2 - it may give a directional trusth to the sides since it is rotating,
making it unstable.
1. Add a delayed release to the design and you'll get open start, restricted later.

2. Make the nozzle longer and put the widget near the top, to force the jet to straighten before reaching the opening.

Something tells me you'd lose a lot of energy in there.
Cheers
Steve
Rockets-in-Brighton
WEB: http://groups.google.co.uk/group/rockets-in-brighton