Here is my rocket.

Discussions about rockets, construction materials, adhesives, nozzles, nosecones and fin design.
millermw2
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Here is my rocket.

Post by millermw2 »

Here is my new rocket. It is a robinson coupled bottles end to end with payload section on top. Then I have a Tomy Timer with a side ejection door for the parachute. I am planing on launching the rocket tomorrow since it is forcasted to be a beautiful day!
Attachments
DSC00534.JPG
DSC00534.JPG (129.49 KiB) Viewed 90 times
DSC00533.JPG
DSC00533.JPG (99.43 KiB) Viewed 90 times
rockets-in-brighton

Re: Here is my rocket.

Post by rockets-in-brighton »

millermw2 wrote:Here is my new rocket. It is a robinson coupled bottles end to end with payload section on top. Then I have a Tomy Timer with a side ejection door for the parachute. I am planing on launching the rocket tomorrow since it is forcasted to be a beautiful day!
Good stuff. Let us know how the launch goes. Oh, how did you make your robinson coupling BTW?
Cheers
Steve
Rockets-in-Brighton
WEB: http://groups.google.co.uk/group/rockets-in-brighton
Jelo
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Jelo »

nice rocket but how did you manage to reach the bolts and fitt everything inside the bottle for the robinson coupling?
Anto'

always wear a raincoat
millermw2
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by millermw2 »

Well the launch was both a success and a failure. The coupling held the pressure and the parachute door open just like it did on the tests trials. The failure came because I was trying to be to conservative on the first launch of this rocket. I did not put enough pressure in the rocket (only 50 psi) and the rocket started falling over as soon as it cleared the guide. At least the damage was minimal, dented nosecone and one fin came off when it hit the ground. I will fix the damage and try again later this week.

The robinson coupling that I used is a threaded lamp rod. I made a seal using a piece of bicycle inner tube. I drilled a hole in the bottles just a little smaller than the threaded lamp rod. I then took the threaded rod and cut threads into the hole in each bottle. I cut the threads into the bottle by putting two nuts together and screwing the threaded rod into the first bottle. I then removed the threaded rod and did the same on the second bottle. I used a long ratchet extension and socket to get the nut on the rod at the bottom of the bottle.

Mike
Jelo
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Jelo »

k thank for the info
Anto'

always wear a raincoat