Cutting PET bottles

Discussions about rockets, construction materials, adhesives, nozzles, nosecones and fin design.
NWIC-SC
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Cutting PET bottles

Post by NWIC-SC »

I've used knives and scissors to cut our PET bottles with varying degrees of success. Has anyone figured out how to cut the bottles safely, easily, and consistently?

Thanks in advance.

Gary
ninja_iga
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: Cutting PET bottles

Post by ninja_iga »

i use a good scissors, it's meant for craft work, you can pick this up from the hardware store.
it looks alot like the ones used in gardening but bit more refined.

to have a nice clean cut, it's helps if you have a guideline, literally.
you can use stiff cardboard, (at least 45cm long and straight edge) wrap around the bottle, tape it to secure it,
and use a Sharpie or a permanent marker to draw the line around the bottle.
check out [youtube][/youtube]
alot of stuff to be learned here :idea:

of course, you have to rely on your skill with the pen and then the scissors to cut it straight :mrgreen:
Stanlley Tai

+6012-211-3039 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting              +6012-211-3039      end_of_the_skype_highlighting
STR
Stanlley Tai Rockets

Legion Paintball
events, supplies, design and manufacturer, training and consultation
play hard but play safe!
www.legionpaintball.org
rockets-in-brighton

Post by rockets-in-brighton »

NWIC-SC wrote:I've used knives and scissors to cut our PET bottles with varying degrees of success. Has anyone figured out how to cut the bottles safely, easily, and consistently?
The olde-tyme water rocketeer's trick is to cut using scissors on the opposite side of the bottle, peering through the bottle to follow your guide line. In other words your hand is held below the bottle with the top blade of the scissors inside the bottle and the bottom blade outside. This does seem to give a consistently cleaner cut with fewer snags. You probably need to start the cut with a sharp knife, a little bit away from the line.
Cheers
Steve
Rockets-in-Brighton
WEB: http://groups.google.co.uk/group/rockets-in-brighton
Jelo
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Jelo »

arts and craft nife :wink:
Anto'

always wear a raincoat
NWIC-SC
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by NWIC-SC »

Thanks to all. Especially liked the splicing stuff from Air Command. We'll try the "old tyme" sighting and scissors placement suggestions.

Gary
SaskAlex
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by SaskAlex »

Chinese scissors! I don't know if that's a proper name, but it's what Lee Valley calls one type of scissors they sell. A lot of people find them uncomfortable, but if you can handle the grip, they are great. Simple two-piece construction means they virtually never break, they cut very well, and both blades come to a nice point, so you don't need a knife to start. And they are quite cheap. They are the only scissors I use for any task.
NWIC-SC
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by NWIC-SC »

Thanks and yes, Chinese scissors is an appropriate name. We "goggled" Chinese scissors and found tons of places to buy them on line.