Mars Science Laboratory

Discuss non-rocket topics, TV, Movies or even general science here.
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Mars Science Laboratory

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

Congratulations to NASA for the successful launch of the "Curiosity" Mars Science Laboratory Rover. The launch looked awesome and the TV coverage was great. The camera shots of the launch were amazing. Now it's time for an 8.5 month flight to the red planet where the "Sky Crane" landing system will be used for the first time. This new landing system is really cool, but it really is an experimental piece of technology, since there's no way to test this except in flight. Cross your fingers on the landing! This should be cool!
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
RocketScientist
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Re: Mars Science Laboratory

Post by RocketScientist »

me_gusta_by_megustaplz-d30cns2.jpg
me_gusta_by_megustaplz-d30cns2.jpg (25.51 KiB) Viewed 20 times
Nick B
Internet Troll

Re: Mars Science Laboratory

Post by Nick B »

U.S. Water Rockets1 wrote:Congratulations to NASA for the successful launch of the "Curiosity" Mars Science Laboratory Rover. The launch looked awesome and the TV coverage was great. The camera shots of the launch were amazing. Now it's time for an 8.5 month flight to the red planet where the "Sky Crane" landing system will be used for the first time. This new landing system is really cool, but it really is an experimental piece of technology, since there's no way to test this except in flight. Cross your fingers on the landing! This should be cool!

I found the sky crane to be very interesting.

I never thought that a drop ship that small would hold enough fuel for a lengthy braking burn, plus a hover and release, and fly away. Definitely a step up for a automated sequence controlling a hover like that.

Kinda weird that they are paying Armadillo to work on a lander, yet they had a way more advanced version already under wraps.
Nick and Dad B.