Windows 8?

Discuss non-rocket topics, TV, Movies or even general science here.
Asupremeflight
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Windows 8?

Post by Asupremeflight »

I just got a new laptop and I am trying to get onto the forum but it won't let me. Not sure what to do. I can access it on the iPad but not the laptop. It keeps saying "webpage not available. What is up?
WRA2
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Windows 8?

Post by WRA2 »

Asupremeflight wrote:I just got a new laptop and I am trying to get onto the forum but it won't let me. Not sure what to do. I can access it on the iPad but not the laptop. It keeps saying "webpage not available. What is up?
Hi,

This is odd, Can you provide more information?
What browser are you using?
Have you tried a different browser such as Firefox or chrome? (IE10 is now available for win7 and I have not received any complaints)
Can you access the wra2 home page?
http://www.wra2.org/index.php

are you using:
http://www.waterrocketforum.com/

what time did you get the error message (was it within an hour of you making this post) I can check the server logs to see if I can see anything there.

Can you post a screenshot of the error message?

Is your firewall blocking the site?
Lisa Walker,
:WRA2: Forum Administrator. :WRA2:
:WRA2:The Water Rocket Achievement World Record Association :WRA2:
Asupremeflight
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Asupremeflight »

I tried this morning again and still can't. I tried using ie and chrome. In chrome I tried changing the LAN settings and everything.
"www.wra2.org took too long to respond. The website may be down or you may be experiencing problems with your Internet connection." it's not my Internet cause I can get on with the iPad. Also I can surf the net with no problems. Why would the firewall only block 1 site.
WRA2
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by WRA2 »

Asupremeflight wrote:I tried this morning again and still can't. I tried using ie and chrome. In chrome I tried changing the LAN settings and everything.
"www.wra2.org took too long to respond. The website may be down or you may be experiencing problems with your Internet connection." it's not my Internet cause I can get on with the iPad. Also I can surf the net with no problems. Why would the firewall only block 1 site.
Try this:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... 791938878a

Apparently you aren't the only person with this problem

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... d00b500eff
Lisa Walker,
Asupremeflight
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Asupremeflight »

Windows 8 is an absolute joke. I brought back 3 laptops with 3 different issues. The os has a steep learning curve on everything but the newest touchscreen laptops. I was impressed only by Office depot's willingness to refund my money so I could fix my old laptop with windows 7.

The 3rd laptop had an extremely fast processor and more ram and still was lethargic. Many bugs for Microsoft to work out. They must be losing a ton of money on that os. All the reviews I read had 90% negative comments to the 10 percent of delusional (most likely, paid for) positive comments.

Stay clear of windows 8 os if at all possible. Even Vista and XP were serviceable.

I'm sure with some tweaking I could have gotten the os to work with this site but that was just the tip of the iceberg. Overall just a crappy rushed into service os that should have never seen the light of day.
WRA2
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by WRA2 »

Asupremeflight wrote:Windows 8 is an absolute joke. I brought back 3 laptops with 3 different issues. The os has a steep learning curve on everything but the newest touchscreen laptops. I was impressed only by Office depot's willingness to refund my money so I could fix my old laptop with windows 7.

The 3rd laptop had an extremely fast processor and more ram and still was lethargic. Many bugs for Microsoft to work out. They must be losing a ton of money on that os. All the reviews I read had 90% negative comments to the 10 percent of delusional (most likely, paid for) positive comments.

Stay clear of windows 8 os if at all possible. Even Vista and XP were serviceable.

I'm sure with some tweaking I could have gotten the os to work with this site but that was just the tip of the iceberg. Overall just a crappy rushed into service os that should have never seen the light of day.
Why couldn't you have just reformatted the laptop and installed a copy of win7 on it?
That way you would have the latest hardware technology with a stable reliable OS.
Lisa Walker,
Asupremeflight
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Asupremeflight »

I jumped the gun on the new laptop anyhow. After a little digging on utube I was able to fix my old computer myself for nothing. So I saved $650. Sometimes I underestimate my abilities to fix things. I had a fear of taking apart the laptop and losing parts or screws or forgetting how it goes back together. Here I had nothing to lose. If I messed it up I take the next step. (perhaps installing windows 7 on the new laptop) everything turned out great.
Asupremeflight
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Asupremeflight »

I jumped the gun on the new laptop anyhow. After a little digging on utube I was able to fix my old computer myself for nothing. So I saved $650. Sometimes I underestimate my abilities to fix things. I had a fear of taking apart the laptop and losing parts or screws or forgetting how it goes back together. Here I had nothing to lose. If I messed it up I take the next step. (perhaps installing windows 7 on the new laptop) everything turned out great.