Is there a theoretical maximum altitude for a water rocket?

Discuss non-rocket topics, TV, Movies or even general science here.
HawaiiRockets
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Is there a theoretical maximum altitude for a water rocket?

Post by HawaiiRockets »

I'm wondering if anyone has done the math yet and if so what the results are? I realize the answer will vary depending upon the configuration, multiple stages, PET bottles only or fiberglass type rockets, etc.

To use an analogy, every fixed wing aircraft has something called the service ceiling listed in the pilot operating handbook specific to that aircraft. This is the maximum altitude at which an aircraft can no longer climb at least 100 feet per minute.
Spaceman Spiff
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: Is there a theoretical maximum altitude for a water rock

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

HawaiiRockets wrote:I'm wondering if anyone has done the math yet and if so what the results are? I realize the answer will vary depending upon the configuration, multiple stages, PET bottles only or fiberglass type rockets, etc.

To use an analogy, every fixed wing aircraft has something called the service ceiling listed in the pilot operating handbook specific to that aircraft. This is the maximum altitude at which an aircraft can no longer climb at least 100 feet per minute.
My guess would be that there is a mathematic absolute maximum for any given volume of water rocket, but if you wanted to say there is a fixed maximum altitude that could never be exceeded, then probably no. I think someone could just think up a theoretical water rocket that was 10 miles tall and simulate it leaving orbit.
Spaceman Spiff
"What goes up, must come down"
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
HawaiiRockets wrote:I'm wondering if anyone has done the math yet and if so what the results are? I realize the answer will vary depending upon the configuration, multiple stages, PET bottles only or fiberglass type rockets, etc.

My guess would be that there is a mathematic absolute maximum for any given volume of water rocket, but if you wanted to say there is a fixed maximum altitude that could never be exceeded, then probably no. I think someone could just think up a theoretical water rocket that was 10 miles tall and simulate it leaving orbit.
LOL. You may find that there isn't enough material on the Earth to make a 10 mile tall PET bottle! And since the experiment is based on Earth (altitude implies a launch from the Earth), you are stuck with what materials you can find here.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
arjan
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by arjan »

U.S. Water Rockets1 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

LOL. You may find that there isn't enough material on the Earth to make a 10 mile tall PET bottle! And since the experiment is based on Earth (altitude implies a launch from the Earth), you are stuck with what materials you can find here.
haha. That would require roughly 55495 2Liter bottles stacked on top of each other giving a total volume of 115984.55 Liters and a weight of 3329700 grams!
Clifford heath's simulators says: Now you're talkin' crazy talk! A volume of 1.15985e+08 is outside the range 0.001 to 1e+06

LOL
Arjan

n-bwaterrockets.blogspot.com
HawaiiRockets
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by HawaiiRockets »

I wanna put something in orbit
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

HawaiiRockets wrote:I wanna put something in orbit
Sure just a trip to the hardware store and you'll be set!

[youtube][/youtube]

I think for water rockets, your limiting factor is going to be your compressor and weight of the material used on your pressure vessel. Where do you get 10k psi AND safely contain it in a vessel that's light enough to fly?
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
Spaceman Spiff
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Wasn't there some guy a while ago claiming that he was building a water rocket that would go 30,000 feet. LOL!
Spaceman Spiff
HawaiiRockets
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by HawaiiRockets »

bugwubber wrote:

[youtube][/youtube]

I think for water rockets, your limiting factor is going to be your compressor and weight of the material used on your pressure vessel. Where do you get 10k psi AND safely contain it in a vessel that's light enough to fly?
Yeah I saw that show .... I think they estimated 50K feet ... Another guy in YouTube did 120'K feet.. but how high till u can orbit?
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

HawaiiRockets wrote:
bugwubber wrote:

[youtube][/youtube]

Yeah I saw that show .... I think they estimated 50K feet ... Another guy in YouTube did 120'K feet.. but how high till u can orbit?

Orbit is more about how fast. And the answer is around 17,000mph. You really have to be above the atmosphere to make those kinds of speeds possible- otherwise you end up just like all the meteors you see in the sky, heating up until you vaporize. Orbit is essentially falling but always missing the planet because of the sideways velocity.

Bugwubber
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
HawaiiRockets
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by HawaiiRockets »

Good info bugwuber
Spaceman Spiff
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

bugwubber wrote: Orbit is more about how fast. And the answer is around 17,000mph. You really have to be above the atmosphere to make those kinds of speeds possible- otherwise you end up just like all the meteors you see in the sky, heating up until you vaporize. Orbit is essentially falling but always missing the planet because of the sideways velocity.
Bugwubber
What if you didn't want to go into orbit? Say you decided to just lift off and fly straight up and just leave the Earth and fly out of the solar system. I don't think you need to go that fast at all.
Spaceman Spiff
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
bugwubber wrote: Orbit is more about how fast. And the answer is around 17,000mph. You really have to be above the atmosphere to make those kinds of speeds possible- otherwise you end up just like all the meteors you see in the sky, heating up until you vaporize. Orbit is essentially falling but always missing the planet because of the sideways velocity.
Bugwubber
What if you didn't want to go into orbit? Say you decided to just lift off and fly straight up and just leave the Earth and fly out of the solar system. I don't think you need to go that fast at all.
Well as long as you had suffcient power and fuel, no. But NASA sent New Horizons on a direct route out of the Solar system (with gravity assists) and felt it needed to travel at over 37k mph to escape the Sun. I suppose they figured out it was more efficient to do it that way.

Bugwubber
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
Alien Space Agency
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: Is there a theoretical maximum altitude for a water rocket?

Post by Alien Space Agency »

George once said a maximum of 5km.... Probably a carbon fiber/fiberglass rocket filled to 1111000 psi.... AAAAANNNNDDD a volume of 30L.
Nothing can stop a curious mind from inventing- Anonymous
motorcyclepilot
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by motorcyclepilot »

bugwubber wrote:
HawaiiRockets wrote:
bugwubber wrote:
Orbit is essentially falling but always missing the planet because of the sideways velocity.

Bugwubber
Flying is essentially throwing yourself at the ground and...missing.

-Douglas Adams