kno3 alternative

Discuss non-rocket topics, TV, Movies or even general science here.
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: kno3 alternative

Post by Water Rocket Expert »

Yeah, those kids must have been really stupid lighting it indoors without protection.
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

It's just a bad month for homemade model rocket motor makers....
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

bugwubber wrote:It's just a bad month for homemade model rocket motor makers....
So can you explain what was wrong with making model rocket motors. Is this illegal in California?
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

Water Rocket Expert wrote:
bugwubber wrote:It's just a bad month for homemade model rocket motor makers....
So can you explain what was wrong with making model rocket motors. Is this illegal in California?
what's wrong is the guy blew his hand off. The pros decided his house could not safely be cleaned up.
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Oh I didn't look that hard at the article. But still, making the stuff is not illegal. Next thing they'll be saying no sugar for tea, and no powdered weed killer.
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

Water Rocket Expert wrote:Oh I didn't look that hard at the article. But still, making the stuff is not illegal. Next thing they'll be saying no sugar for tea, and no powdered weed killer.
The article also states he hadn't been charged or arrested for anything.
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

bugwubber wrote:
Water Rocket Expert wrote:Oh I didn't look that hard at the article. But still, making the stuff is not illegal. Next thing they'll be saying no sugar for tea, and no powdered weed killer.
The article also states he hadn't been charged or arrested for anything.
Oh, I see. They just wanted to make sure the place was safe.
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Did anyone say that this was even gunpowder.
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

Water Rocket Expert wrote:Did anyone say that this was even gunpowder.
The article listed gunpowder among other unspecified chemicals.
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Well if kids have their hands on the stuff without guidance, it will eventually happen. Even I have had a few incidents with piles of leaves catching fire after playing with pyrotechnic powder. So if kids have all that and no parental guidance....Well, here is the formula: SP+GP+NPA=Explosion where SP equals spare time and GP equals gun powder, and NPA equals no parental advisory.
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

Water Rocket Expert wrote:Well if kids have their hands on the stuff without guidance, it will eventually happen. Even I have had a few incidents with piles of leaves catching fire after playing with pyrotechnic powder. So if kids have all that and no parental guidance....Well, here is the formula: SP+GP+NPA=Explosion where SP equals spare time and GP equals gun powder, and NPA equals no parental advisory.
Agreed. This particular story doesn't have kids however.

People familiar with something tend to become blind to the dangers over time.
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Too true. It is like an old experienced lumber jack who forgets the dangers of his chainsaw and ends up with his arm off.
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

For some people, even using matches is just too much responsibility. Even my dad doesn't let me purchase an oxygen tank :saber: for my hybrid rocket engine testing.

Due to issues with "irresponsibility" with paint, though I have temporarily been banned from rocketry altogether although this site does not count. Hopefully, within the next month I will be permitted to continue to build my wa 8) 8) ter rockets and Estes pyros.

Dumb adults who blow up the place. :explode: :explode:
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

Water Rocket Expert wrote:Since I am 15, my dad would have to take me to the store to purchase it (unless I can buy it from my neighbor, or have my friends smuggle it home for me). On the way to Home Depot, my dad would say, "Why do you need stump remover". I say "Uh? Well I know, I need to remove that tree in the woods." Things would go down hill from there as my dad has a pretty bad idea of me playing with explosives although I try to make him understand that it is just an oxidizer, he says that in school, he remembers it being flammable. I build a hybrid motor today and the flame melted the nozzle made of a metal garden hose connector. I made the oxygen from bleach and hydrogen peroxide and the fuel being PVC. I ignited it using steel wool.

Water Rocket Expert

SPWR

Years ago, 15 year old boys faced the exact same challenges and overcame them one way or another, and the internet wasn't even available back then.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

U.S. Water Rockets1 wrote:
Water Rocket Expert wrote:Since I am 15, my dad would have to take me to the store to purchase it (unless I can buy it from my neighbor, or have my friends smuggle it home for me). On the way to Home Depot, my dad would say, "Why do you need stump remover". I say "Uh? Well I know, I need to remove that tree in the woods." Things would go down hill from there as my dad has a pretty bad idea of me playing with explosives although I try to make him understand that it is just an oxidizer, he says that in school, he remembers it being flammable. I build a hybrid motor today and the flame melted the nozzle made of a metal garden hose connector. I made the oxygen from bleach and hydrogen peroxide and the fuel being PVC. I ignited it using steel wool.

Water Rocket Expert

SPWR

Years ago, 15 year old boys faced the exact same challenges and overcame them one way or another, and the internet wasn't even available back then.
October Sky- favorite scene was the abandoned train line where they were attempting to overcome their funds shortage. Woo wooo!
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.