Pyro

Discuss non-rocket topics, TV, Movies or even general science here.
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Pyro

Post by bugwubber »

Well, I have a little side project going on. Tommorrow I'm going to teach some scouts how to build pyro rockets. I forgot how dinky these low power kits are! Anyway, of course that means we need a launcher and a bunch of rockets. I picked up a Mega Mosquito that I am going to add a payload bay to so I can fit some electronics and cameras in it. The scouts will be building PayloaderII rockets so they can launch their lego astronauts.
Attachments
Pyro  launcher
Pyro launcher
tmp_12456-20141112_205941748120015.jpg (2.67 MiB) Viewed 28 times
tmp_12456-20141116_021228-357649732.jpg
tmp_12456-20141116_021228-357649732.jpg (3.23 MiB) Viewed 28 times
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
U.S. Water Rockets
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: Pyro

Post by U.S. Water Rockets »

bugwubber wrote:Well, I have a little side project going on. Tommorrow I'm going to teach some scouts how to build pyro rockets. I forgot how dinky these low power kits are! Anyway, of course that means we need a launcher and a bunch of rockets. I picked up a Mega Mosquito that I am going to add a payload bay to so I can fit some electronics and cameras in it. The scouts will be building PayloaderII rockets so they can launch their lego astronauts.
You are the best scoutmaster EVER!!!!

That's so cool.
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

U.S. Water Rockets wrote:
bugwubber wrote:Well, I have a little side project going on. Tommorrow I'm going to teach some scouts how to build pyro rockets. I forgot how dinky these low power kits are! Anyway, of course that means we need a launcher and a bunch of rockets. I picked up a Mega Mosquito that I am going to add a payload bay to so I can fit some electronics and cameras in it. The scouts will be building PayloaderII rockets so they can launch their lego astronauts.

That's so cool.
Thanks I'll be sure to let them know that! ;-) (Den leader btw)

Unfortunately someone at the church we were going to build at booked us when they shouldn't have and other buildings we typically use were booked as well- so we had to postpone the build.
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
U.S. Water Rockets
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

bugwubber wrote:
U.S. Water Rockets wrote:

That's so cool.
Thanks I'll be sure to let them know that! ;-) (Den leader btw)

Unfortunately someone at the church we were going to build at booked us when they shouldn't have and other buildings we typically use were booked as well- so we had to postpone the build.
Were the kids disappointed the build was postponed?
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

Yeah they were pretty bummed. But..

We were finally able to build them in April and just had our rocket launch!

We had about 10 rockets to launch. I added a Mega Mosquito andmy oldest daughter made a D/E powered Magician. The day was just about perfect with enough wind to keep the few bugs there were at bay.

Even with all the fun, I was reminded why I like water rockets so much- no stinky burnt rocket casings, none of the low power rockets could hold a camera, payload bays so tiny a lego man was cramped.

Anyway, you can see me TOTALLY not enjoying myself here...

[youtube][/youtube]
Attachments
tmp_25822-20150501_004013-1293299629.jpg
tmp_25822-20150501_004013-1293299629.jpg (2.3 MiB) Viewed 14 times
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
U.S. Water Rockets
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

bugwubber wrote:Yeah they were pretty bummed. But..

We were finally able to build them in April and just had our rocket launch!

We had about 10 rockets to launch. I added a Mega Mosquito andmy oldest daughter made a D/E powered Magician. The day was just about perfect with enough wind to keep the few bugs there were at bay.

Even with all the fun, I was reminded why I like water rockets so much- no stinky burnt rocket casings, none of the low power rockets could hold a camera, payload bays so tiny a lego man was cramped.

Anyway, you can see me TOTALLY not enjoying myself here...

[youtube][/youtube]

What size body tube diameter is the Mega Mosquito? It looks like the same nosecone we bought and used to make the form for our Project 3000 nosecone back in '08.
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

2.6" wide. Made for a BT80 tube. So shoulder is 2.59 or so
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.