Bad News For The Space Program

Discuss non-rocket topics, TV, Movies or even general science here.
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: Bad News For The Space Program

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

Relax, everyone. There's nothing set in stone at this time. A big change in direction for NASA cannot be done without congressional approval. There's nothing to be worried about yet. Things can change.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
Tim Chen
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Tim Chen »

I'm losing my respect Buzz Aldrin the more I hear about this. It appears that he has changed his mind since he now is an Advisory Board Member in a commercial space enterprise (Space Adventures, Ltd). This is what he said in 2008: ”To me it’s abysmal that it has come to this: after 50 years of NASA, and after putting about $100 billion into the space station, we can’t get our own astronauts to our space station without relying on the Russians. Retain the vision for space exploration. If we turn our backs on the vision again, we’re going to live in a secondary position in human space flight for the rest of the century.”– Sunday Telegraph, June 29, 2008.

So now he supports a proposal that could potentially pump tax dollars into his commercial enterprise. His opinions appear to be tainted.
Tim Chen
Captain, Team Enterprise
Spaceman Spiff
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Ugh. I don't like what I am reading.
Spaceman Spiff
"What goes up, must come down"
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Ugh. I don't like what I am reading.
It looks like the budget savings will be diverted into more Earth Sciences programs instead of exploring new places. At least we still have the Mars Science Lab still on the schedule, and there's not much they can do to kill off New Horizons, since it is about 1/2 the way to Pluto!
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
rockets-in-brighton

Neil Armstrong vs Buzz Aldrin: FIGHT!

Post by rockets-in-brighton »

Neil Armstrong has now thrown his hat into the opposite side of the ring to Buzz Aldrin, says Obama's plans are "devastating" to America's space effort. Letter published via MSNBC (sorry, crap website).

(I just read some wag suggesting that the real reason Armstrong wants to go back to the moon is that he dropped his car keys, and this is the only way to get them back.)

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36476183/ns ... ence-space
Cheers
Steve
Rockets-in-Brighton
WEB: http://groups.google.co.uk/group/rockets-in-brighton
RaZias
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by RaZias »

Good News, I saw EuroNews TVchannel and Obama said that USA will have a space-ship for exploration beyond the moon by 2025.

After the end of Space Shuttle there will be a vehicule based in Orion technology to avoid the rent payed to use Soyuz modules.

It seems there will be a Space Shuttle substitute for now and a DeepSpace-Ship for 2025.
Research and Development is the soul of WR
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

RaZias wrote:Good News, I saw EuroNews TVchannel and Obama said that USA will have a space-ship for exploration beyond the moon by 2025.

After the end of Space Shuttle there will be a vehicule based in Orion technology to avoid the rent payed to use Soyuz modules.

It seems there will be a Space Shuttle substitute for now and a DeepSpace-Ship for 2025.
The news says that 2500 new jobs will be created to support the new direction. That's what the USA needs!
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page