3-Stager to 654 ft @ 100psi

Post your team or personal best. To be displayed on the WRA2 standings page(Altimeter Data and Videos are optional)
jeffs
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

3-Stager to 654 ft @ 100psi

Post by jeffs »

I finally got my revised 3-stage rocket flying again today! Hopefully I'll get into bottle splicing when I get back into it later this year or next year, but for now I've replaced the metal lamp rod "robinson" couplings with plastic/composite components, & they seem to be holding up well. The rocket has grown in length to 10 ft, by adding one bottle to both the 2nd & 3rd stages. The stager that releases the 3rd stage has a delay mechanism built into it. The air cylinder piston has been converted to a hydraulic cylinder/piston to act as a damper. The piston is retracted as before by rubber bands, but now the hydraulic fluid (water or dish soap) must pass through a .012" 0.3mm) oriface for the piston & stager release sleeve to move. The stager release delay can be controlled by the viscosity (thickness) of the fluid chosen.

Another huge improvement is that many of the custom components have been solid modeled in Alibre Design & 3d printed. After a major crash, parts damaged beyond repair can be re-created on the printer & then re-assembled into the rocket. Most of the duct tape used for structural support has been replaced by plastic components, this is a HUGE improvement! The rocket is a lot stiffer & straighter now & should hold up a lot better to water exposure.

The other vast improvement is the replacement of my Vivita DVR 480 video camera with the new 808 "#16" Car Key Chain Micro Camera. I was as impressed as everyone else who's tried the camera. After replacing torn parachutes from todays tree landings, I hope to get it flying again in a few days, & bring the launch pressure UP gradually to see how high it can go!

Jeff S.

[youtube][/youtube]
WRA2
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 3-Stager to 654 ft @ 100psi

Post by WRA2 »

jeffs wrote:I finally got my revised 3-stage rocket flying again today! Hopefully I'll get into bottle splicing when I get back into it later this year or next year, but for now I've replaced the metal lamp rod "robinson" couplings with plastic/composite components, & they seem to be holding up well. The rocket has grown in length to 10 ft, by adding one bottle to both the 2nd & 3rd stages. The stager that releases the 3rd stage has a delay mechanism built into it. The air cylinder piston has been converted to a hydraulic cylinder/piston to act as a damper. The piston is retracted as before by rubber bands, but now the hydraulic fluid (water or dish soap) must pass through a .012" 0.3mm) oriface for the piston & stager release sleeve to move. The stager release delay can be controlled by the viscosity (thickness) of the fluid chosen.

Another huge improvement is that many of the custom components have been solid modeled in Alibre Design & 3d printed. After a major crash, parts damaged beyond repair can be re-created on the printer & then re-assembled into the rocket. Most of the duct tape used for structural support has been replaced by plastic components, this is a HUGE improvement! The rocket is a lot stiffer & straighter now & should hold up a lot better to water exposure.

The other vast improvement is the replacement of my Vivita DVR 480 video camera with the new 808 "#16" Car Key Chain Micro Camera. I was as impressed as everyone else who's tried the camera. After replacing torn parachutes from todays tree landings, I hope to get it flying again in a few days, & bring the launch pressure UP gradually to see how high it can go!

Jeff S.

[youtube][/youtube]
Good work Jeff!

I added your personal best to the main website world record standings page. PH:

http://www.wra2.org/WRA2_Standings.php

Good luck on your next launch!

Looks like you might need to find a bigger launch site to stay away from those pesky trees. PH:
Lisa Walker,
:WRA2: Forum Administrator. :WRA2:
:WRA2:The Water Rocket Achievement World Record Association :WRA2:
air.command

Post by air.command »

jeffs wrote:I finally got my revised 3-stage rocket flying again today! Hopefully I'll get into bottle splicing when I get back into it later this year or next year, but for now I've replaced the metal lamp rod "robinson" couplings with plastic/composite components, & they seem to be holding up well. The rocket has grown in length to 10 ft, by adding one bottle to both the 2nd & 3rd stages. The stager that releases the 3rd stage has a delay mechanism built into it. The air cylinder piston has been converted to a hydraulic cylinder/piston to act as a damper. The piston is retracted as before by rubber bands, but now the hydraulic fluid (water or dish soap) must pass through a .012" 0.3mm) oriface for the piston & stager release sleeve to move. The stager release delay can be controlled by the viscosity (thickness) of the fluid chosen.

Jeff S.
That's a top class effort Jeff. Getting 3 stages to go vertically is not an easy feat. Well done!
http://www.AirCommandRockets.com
Nick B
Internet Troll

Post by Nick B »

Cool stuff.

Amazing what low pressure and more air capacity can do. WO:
Nick and Dad B.
jeffs
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by jeffs »

Thanks for the comments. The flight went quite well, but the recovery of all stages was a challenge. 1st stage hit hard, 2nd stage ended up 30-40 ft high in a maple tree, 3rd stage barely cleared a very tall elm tree, but still ended up in a thorn apple about 20 ft up. This was basically a zero wind flight but the trajectory took everything over the woods... now that the wind has brought down the stuck chute I can get it back together.

The launch attempt the previous day did not go well, the 3rd stage took off by itself when the stager locking pin was removed at 45 psi - end result a 80 ft flight onto the shed roof. It turned out to be a GOOD thing as I discovered that the chute timer had moved in its bulkhead/cradle & was still fully wound up & jammed, no chance of chutes coming out!

Jeff
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

Jeff S.

[youtube][/youtube]

Hi Jeff! That's a really impressive rocket you have there. You probably have gone higher on 100PSI than anyone else has ever flown. That's an amazing piece of engineering. Congratulations on the great flight and best of luck on your future experiments.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
Blenderite
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Blenderite »

What sort of staging device did you use? I am interested in this type of rocket because I can't get higher pressure (150+ psi) for single or double stage rockets. Nice rocket!!!!

-DogLover
-Blenderite

Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/Blenderite

"Get it right, then go for GREATNESS!"
jeffs
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by jeffs »

It is a pressure sensing system, using a gardena style coupler (Melnor brand) with it's internal spring removed. It is then held up in the locked position with an air piston from pressure in the stage below it. Rubber bands pull the collar (& piston) down when pressure is released after burn-out. This setup does require a locking pin to be pulled after partial pressurization. For now rubber band tension can be adjusted for timing, but I'd like to improve on this. Here is a link to a previous post pic, it has been imprved since then:

http://www.wra2.org/forum/download/file.php?id=1779

I have not flown the 3 stage in a few weeks since a I had a close call. The 2nd stage didn't release due to the nozzle oring coming out of it's groove. I think over lubing it may have allowed it to slide out of its groove, causing the stage to lock up. Anyway on the last flight attempt, the booster took everything up to about 150' & there was just enough hang time for the 6-7 second timer on the 3rd stage to eject its 2 chutes. They were no match for the weight of the 10' rocket still half full of water, but what happened next is noted in the attached pic.... Luckily there was no major damage to the rocket, in the meantime I am making improvements to the setup, it's very difficult right now on this 3 stager...
Attachments
3rd stage rocket crash.jpg
3rd stage rocket crash.jpg (237.63 KiB) Viewed 101 times
Blenderite
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Blenderite »

That is a unique staging system. I have never seen anything quite like it!!! It looks like it would have taken a lot of work to come up with! Good work!!!

-DogLover
-Blenderite

Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/Blenderite

"Get it right, then go for GREATNESS!"
PTrockets
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by PTrockets »

Jeff S.

[youtube][/youtube]
Hi!
You've the best multi-stage water rockets (in my opinion). I've a little question: why you use a real parachute and a plastic bag as a parachute?
PTrockets
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by PTrockets »

PTrockets wrote:

Jeff S.

[youtube][/youtube]
Hi!
You've the best multi-stage water rockets (in my opinion). I've a little question: why you use a real parachute and a plastic bag as a parachute?
Continue the good work!

PTrockets
Spaceman Spiff
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

PTrockets wrote:
PTrockets wrote:

Jeff S.

[youtube][/youtube]
Hi!
Continue the good work!

PTrockets

I've been out of the loop for now, but I'm sorry to say I missed some really cool stuff like Jeff S and his work. I hope that we can get some of these guys to update their progress, because some of these designs are really innovative. Back in the day, there were only a handful of really serious people building Wrockets, and with limited tools and resources there were pretty much 1 or 2 designs for everything and people just made tweaks and adjustments. I suppose with most people in the middle of summer there's no reason to hang out online. I hope we get some updates when the weather gets cold.
Spaceman Spiff
"What goes up, must come down"
Alien Space Agency
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Alien Space Agency »

U.S. Water Rockets1 wrote:
jeffs wrote:I finally got my revised 3-stage rocket flying again today! Hopefully I'll get into bottle splicing when I get back into it later this year or next year, but for now I've replaced the metal lamp rod "robinson" couplings with plastic/composite components, & they seem to be holding up well. The rocket has grown in length to 10 ft, by adding one bottle to both the 2nd & 3rd stages. The stager that releases the 3rd stage has a delay mechanism built into it. The air cylinder piston has been converted to a hydraulic cylinder/piston to act as a damper. The piston is retracted as before by rubber bands, but now the hydraulic fluid (water or dish soap) must pass through a .012" 0.3mm) oriface for the piston & stager release sleeve to mo;ve. The stager release delay can be controlled by the viscosity (thickness) of the fluid chosen.

Jeff S.

[youtube][/youtube]

Hi Jeff! That's a really impressive rocket you have there. You probably have gone higher on 100PSI than anyone else has ever flown. That's an amazing piece of engineering. Congratulations on the great flight and best of luck on your future experiments.

Eh? I thought Millennium was launched at only 100psi?
Nothing can stop a curious mind from inventing- Anonymous