1 stage to 944'

Post your team or personal best. To be displayed on the WRA2 standings page(Altimeter Data and Videos are optional)
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

1 stage to 944'

Post by Water Rocket Expert »

My Slim Kick F-4 raced to an altitude of 944 feet. This rocket was pressurized too 190 psi (12.92 atmospheres). The rocket used a 26mm nozzle and raced to a blazing top speed of 287 mph. The rocket put out nearly 700 newtons of thrust at liftoff. Thrust lasted 1.2 seconds. The rockets 11 foot stature was spiced together using FTC tubing, JB Weld Clear and my personnel heat shrink method. I used binoculars to spot it at apogee. I knew something was wrong; the parachute did not deploy and the SKF-4 came down looking like a meteor. My Tommy timer did not work. In fact, it stuck. Approximately 30+ hours of work gone useless on first flight. The rocket zoomed to the ground and my friends Jolly Logic altimeter 2 clock the speed at 136 mph. That's fast, fast enough to destroy the FTC. And it did. Now the rocket is a useless hump of plastic laying in our garage. I should have had a camera. My key chain camera's battery went bad. I'll be posting more updates.
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein
Blenderite
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: 1 stage to 944'

Post by Blenderite »

Did you get video?
-Blenderite

Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/Blenderite

"Get it right, then go for GREATNESS!"
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Read my post more carefully.
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein
Reptiglorandrockets
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Reptiglorandrockets »

A 26mm nozzle? That is bigger than any nozzle that I have ever used! How did you make it and do you have details of your launcher? Do you have details of the rocket?
Blog:http://rrockets.blogspot.com/?m=1

Email: reptiglorandrockets@gmail.com

Visit Reptiglorandrockets on YouTube!

Facebook: Randy Truman Jr.
arjan
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by arjan »

1.2 seconds of thrust? Thats a lot especially for a 26mm nozzle! How did you measure the thrust duration?
Arjan

n-bwaterrockets.blogspot.com
WRA2
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by WRA2 »

arjan wrote:1.2 seconds of thrust? Thats a lot especially for a 26mm nozzle! How did you measure the thrust duration?
Hopefully it was just a typo.
Lisa Walker,
:WRA2: Forum Administrator. :WRA2:
:WRA2:The Water Rocket Achievement World Record Association :WRA2:
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Yes that was a typo sorry supposed to be 18mm I was messing around and got it mixed up. I used a Jolly Logic alitmer two for thrust deration.
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
arjan
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by arjan »

Water Rocket Expert wrote:Yes that was a typo sorry supposed to be 18mm I was messing around and got it mixed up. I used a Jolly Logic alitmer two for thrust deration.
Hmmm...

1.2 seconds is still way to long for a 18mm nozzle.
Maybe the altimeter two got messed up when the rocket crashed.
Arjan

U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

Don't be so hard on the new guy. Give him a chance. We had a problem here a few months ago with some kid pretending he was launching these amazing rockets, so people around these parts are a tad skeptical of impressive feats without any photographic evidence. Give the guy a chance to repeat his performance with a camera rolling.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
arjan
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by arjan »

A picture of the rocket or what's left of it, to prove it actually existed, would take away some of the skepticism.
Arjan

Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Yeah I have a feeling that the Aliteter is kind of unreliable as a similar estes altimeter sometimes reads differently. I will post a picture of the remains although most of the rocket was trashed. I will work to provide the evidence! Yeah and don't be skeptical, becuase it really did happen and it went high.
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Are you serious there was a kid doing that?!
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

I posted a picture of the pet part of it in the Q & A part of this forum under "Spambot" which is locked.
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland
Reptiglorandrockets
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Reptiglorandrockets »

Water Rocket Expert wrote:I posted a picture of the pet part of it in the Q & A part of this forum under "Spambot" which is locked.
That looked like a PET bottle rocket, didn't you say it was a 11' FTC Water rocket?
Blog:http://rrockets.blogspot.com/?m=1

Email: reptiglorandrockets@gmail.com

Visit Reptiglorandrockets on YouTube!

Facebook: Randy Truman Jr.
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Water Rocket Expert wrote:My Slim Kick F-4 raced to an altitude of 944 feet. This rocket was pressurized too 190 psi (12.92 atmospheres). The rocket used a 26mm nozzle and raced to a blazing top speed of 287 mph. The rocket put out nearly 700 newtons of thrust at liftoff. Thrust lasted 1.2 seconds. The rockets 11 foot stature was spiced together using FTC tubing, JB Weld Clear and my personnel heat shrink method. I used binoculars to spot it at apogee. I knew something was wrong; the parachute did not deploy and the SKF-4 came down looking like a meteor. My Tommy timer did not work. In fact, it stuck. Approximately 30+ hours of work gone useless on first flight. The rocket zoomed to the ground and my friends Jolly Logic altimeter 2 clock the speed at 136 mph. That's fast, fast enough to destroy the FTC. And it did. Now the rocket is a useless hump of plastic laying in our garage. I should have had a camera. My key chain camera's battery went bad. I'll be posting more updates.
The reason I said one stage was because the second stage didn't work right.
Water Rocket Expert
I'm 20
Maryland