German record altitude

Post your team or personal best. To be displayed on the WRA2 standings page(Altimeter Data and Videos are optional)
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: German record altitude

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

rockets-in-brighton wrote:
Mark Chen wrote: I wasn't sure that this is what they were doing, because everyone was saying that they were excluding USWR from recognition by their contest. If it is just a contest between friends, that's cool too. I have to add that I wouldn't mind if they found a way to merge their 1.5l class into the WRA2 so that there would another category to compete in. I think that would be great for everyone!
I think you should also bear in mind that there is a bit of politics involved here. Although WRA2 is conceived as a World competition, it is seen as a US dominated competition - it doesn't help that the team name of the current record holder under WRA2 rules is so definitely and decisively US!

Anyway, remember that it is a perception, and WRA2 could change that perception.
Do you speak from your own perceptions, or is there some undercurrent of negativity that you're picking up on? We realize that there were a lot of bad feelings from former and potential competitors back when we set the record in 2004, but in the 5 years since then we would have hoped that the animostiy would have died down. It's really not good for the water rocket community in general if there's still people out there trying to turn our accomplishments into a negative.

Regarding the competition from Raketenmodellbau, we're certainly not looking for them to list USWR in their records. The reason we mentioned it was because we were concerned that our rockets were being misinterpreted as "stomp rockets" (piston rockets), a type of rocket we personally do not like. On the contrary, we would love to see the Raketenmodellbau record holder(s) added to the roster on this site.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
rockets-in-brighton

Post by rockets-in-brighton »

U.S. Water Rockets1 wrote:
rockets-in-brighton wrote: I think you should also bear in mind that there is a bit of politics involved here. Although WRA2 is conceived as a World competition, it is seen as a US dominated competition - it doesn't help that the team name of the current record holder under WRA2 rules is so definitely and decisively US!

Anyway, remember that it is a perception, and WRA2 could change that perception.
Do you speak from your own perceptions, or is there some undercurrent of negativity that you're picking up on? We realize that there were a lot of bad feelings from former and potential competitors back when we set the record in 2004, but in the 5 years since then we would have hoped that the animostiy would have died down. It's really not good for the water rocket community in general if there's still people out there trying to turn our accomplishments into a negative.
I wouldn't take it personally, I think any objections were purely technical and discussion will sort that out. Nothing you can do personally about bias against or animosity towards the US as a whole. WRA2 just needs to keep plugging away that they run a world-wide competition. Maybe even an Australian team could get a world record :shock:
Cheers
Steve
Rockets-in-Brighton
WEB: http://groups.google.co.uk/group/rockets-in-brighton
WRA2 Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by WRA2 Admin »

rockets-in-brighton wrote:WRA2 just needs to keep plugging away that they run a world-wide competition.
If we have given the wrong impression we will try our best to change that. We thank you for pointing out the areas where we need to improve and how we should correct them. We want to make sure that were are taking the association in the direction the members want us to, so we appreciate the feedback. We will update our website and our forum to be more world-wide.

Speaking of which, the guys at Raketenmodellbau are perfectly welcome to hold their own competition and we would be happy to list their contest rules and their results here. We have 6 years of experience running a worldwide water rocket competition, so we would like to offer suggestions or provide any assistance to help them avoid any pitfalls or conflicts. The members of Raketenmodellbau are of course also welcome to compete in any of the WRA2 competitions. Many of the rockets seen on the Raketenmodellbau look to be quite suitable for our contests. We welcome and encourage international teams to compete.

rockets-in-brighton wrote:Maybe even an Australian team could get a world record :shock:

We have several Australian teams that are current WRA2 members and they are eligible for our competitions. Any other teams from anywhere in the world are also welcome to participate. They simply have to fill out the membership application and follow the competition rules. We have several different classes which cover all skill and budget levels, so anyone can have a chance to compete.

The purposes of this forum is to unite the water rocket community. This topic is going a long way to solving some of the misconceptions that have occurred between the various groups of water rocket enthusiasts. As history has shown everything from poor translations to personal grudges keeps the community apart. This forum and the WRA2 are designed to overcome that.
David Walker
Administrator
The Water Rocket Achievement World Record Association