German record altitude

Post your team or personal best. To be displayed on the WRA2 standings page(Altimeter Data and Videos are optional)
Batkiter

German record altitude

Post by Batkiter »

Hallo Rocketeers!

Unter diesem Link könnt Ihr die Diskussion über die Versuche einen deutschen oder europäischen Höhenrekord für Wasserraketen
aufzustellen, verfolgen.

http://66.196.80.202/babelfish/translat ... 26page%3d1

http://66.196.80.202/babelfish/translat ... http%3a%2f%

Regards Batkiter
Scorpion_XIII
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Re: German record altitude

Post by Scorpion_XIII »

Hi,

the actual (24.05.2009) german records are:
Limited class (1,5l water): Stefan Meyer 125m=417ft
Open class : Scorpion_XIII 160m=525ft

Following the images of the two record-rockets :)
Attachments
Open class : 160m=525ft
Open class : 160m=525ft
rocket_160m.jpg (29.18 KiB) Viewed 205 times
Limited class (1,5l water): 125m=417ft
Limited class (1,5l water): 125m=417ft
rocket_127m.jpg (144.9 KiB) Viewed 204 times
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

Thanks for posting the photos!

Can you explain what are the differences for limited class and open class?
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
Scorpion_XIII
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Scorpion_XIII »

Hi,

general rules for all classes
use a safe rocket, so that you are able to start after landing.
You must use a professional barometric altimeter. Allowed are today the SALT and ALTIMAX.
Launchtubes are only allowed up to 15mm diameter (this might change in the next time)

limited class rules: you are only allowed to use 1,5l of water for your rocket.
Pressurering the rocket must be done by a hand pump. Bottled air is not allowed.
open class rules: no restriction of water or pressure (Bottled air is allowed)
Spaceman Spiff
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Scorpion_XIII wrote:Hi,

You must use a professional barometric altimeter. Allowed are today the SALT and ALTIMAX.
Launchtubes are only allowed up to 15mm diameter (this might change in the next time)

Pressurering the rocket must be done by a hand pump. Bottled air is not allowed.
Why do you only allow 2 altimeters into the contest? There are probably a dozen different models out there? I have never seen these 2 before. Are they new?

Who made the orange rocket in the pix? Is that just paint, or is the rocket using reinforcing sleeve?
Spaceman Spiff
"What goes up, must come down"
Scorpion_XIII
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Scorpion_XIII »

Hello,

the red/orange rocket is from Stefan Meyer. It is glued together with the SST method and painted.

Prooven altimeters are also allowed, but only if they are very exact. Perfect Flight... are OK
But in europe, germany it is not so easy to get the altimeters from USA ;)
So there are very good altimeters made in germany :) SALT is an old and prooven altimeter and ALTIMAX is only one or two years old but also very exact.
Mark Chen
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Mark Chen »

Scorpion_XIII wrote:Hi,

You will have problems with your contest with these rules because they are too general. People will find many ways to cheat. I don't think it makes any sense to debate limiting the diameter of a launch tube when you say nothing to prevent people from using a catapult to launch their rocket (and tons of other ways to cheat). You are missing big parts of your rules to debate minor details. It reminds me of furnishing your house before the walls are built.

How long have you competed with these rules?
Mark Chen
Team Enterprise
rockets-in-brighton

Post by rockets-in-brighton »

Mark, you need to read these "rules" as more of an agreement amongst friends than a fierce competition between rivals. They've been running with these rules for a couple of months. It has inspired friendly competition and amicable discussions on how to keep it interesting.
Cheers
Steve
Rockets-in-Brighton
WEB: http://groups.google.co.uk/group/rockets-in-brighton
Mark Chen
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Mark Chen »

rockets-in-brighton wrote:Mark, you need to read these "rules" as more of an agreement amongst friends than a fierce competition between rivals. They've been running with these rules for a couple of months. It has inspired friendly competition and amicable discussions on how to keep it interesting.
I wasn't sure that this is what they were doing, because everyone was saying that they were excluding USWR from recognition by their contest. If it is just a contest between friends, that's cool too. I have to add that I wouldn't mind if they found a way to merge their 1.5l class into the WRA2 so that there would another category to compete in. I think that would be great for everyone!
Mark Chen
Team Enterprise
The Mooseheads
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by The Mooseheads »

Since everybody searching for info on Water Rockets ultimately ends up on this site, it would be great if a repository of records were set up. I could code up a database with search functions and other features which would make it a great way for people to see what everyone else was doing around the world.
Rick C.
The Mooseheads
Scorpion_XIII
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Scorpion_XIII »

Hi,

for germany there will be soon a site about german waterrocket records :)
So the important news, rules and records are summarized from the forum Raketenmodellbau.org
rockets-in-brighton

Scorpion_XIII wrote: for germany there will be soon a site about german waterrocket records :)
So the important news, rules and records are summarized from the forum Raketenmodellbau.org
I am following the discussion on RMB with great interest. When you decide about nozzles and bottle diameter ratios, please remember that in the UK we often use 2L bottles. The nozzles are normal 22mm nozzles, but the bottles are 95mm in diameter.

(I hope this translates OK. I test it by using "Babelfish" to translate to German, then use "Google Translate" back to English, then I compare the result with the original. If it still makes sense, it passes! :D )
Cheers
Steve
Rockets-in-Brighton
rockets-in-brighton

Mark Chen wrote: I wasn't sure that this is what they were doing, because everyone was saying that they were excluding USWR from recognition by their contest. If it is just a contest between friends, that's cool too. I have to add that I wouldn't mind if they found a way to merge their 1.5l class into the WRA2 so that there would another category to compete in. I think that would be great for everyone!
I think you should also bear in mind that there is a bit of politics involved here. Although WRA2 is conceived as a World competition, it is seen as a US dominated competition - it doesn't help that the team name of the current record holder under WRA2 rules is so definitely and decisively US!

Anyway, remember that it is a perception, and WRA2 could change that perception.
Cheers
Steve
Rockets-in-Brighton
Scorpion_XIII
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Scorpion_XIII »

rockets-in-brighton wrote: ...When you decide about nozzles and bottle diameter ratios, please remember that in the UK we often use 2L bottles. The nozzles are normal 22mm nozzles, but the bottles are 95mm in diameter...
Our smalest bottles are 0,5l bottles with 60mm diameter and a 22mm nozzle.
So the minimum diameter for pressure vessel is 60mm with a maximum LT-diameter of 22mm.
But this are still ideas for rules... We will see what the further discussion will yield for an result :)
Mark Chen
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Mark Chen »

rockets-in-brighton wrote:
Mark Chen wrote: I wasn't sure that this is what they were doing, because everyone was saying that they were excluding USWR from recognition by their contest. If it is just a contest between friends, that's cool too. I have to add that I wouldn't mind if they found a way to merge their 1.5l class into the WRA2 so that there would another category to compete in. I think that would be great for everyone!
I think you should also bear in mind that there is a bit of politics involved here. Although WRA2 is conceived as a World competition, it is seen as a US dominated competition - it doesn't help that the team name of the current record holder under WRA2 rules is so definitely and decisively US!

Anyway, remember that it is a perception, and WRA2 could change that perception.
I like water rockets because they are non political. All I hear all day long is Republican this and Democrat that. Obama, Bush, etc. until I can't stand it. I'm sure you get flooded with Labour/Conservative politics all day too. Who wants to make water rockets into a political thing? I'm a fan of the Philosophy that Gene Roddenberry created for the Star Trek Universe, where everyone on Earth were equals and they looked back at borders and nationalities as outmoded concepts.

The only exception I would make to this is if people were motivated by nationalistic pride to participate and ithis was used to energize a team. This is the norm in a lot of sports. Think of the Soccer or Tennis, and all that!
Mark Chen
Team Enterprise