Welcome to the Water Rocket Forum, sponsored by The Water Rocket Achievement World Record Association.

Since our founding in 2003, we've become the largest, most sophisticated and ground breaking group supporting you, the serious water rocket flyer! Whether you are a beginner or an expert, the WRA2 has something for everyone.

A water rocket is a type of model rocket using water as its reaction mass. The pressure vessel (the engine of the rocket) is constructed from thin plastic or other non metallic materials (usually a used plastic soft drink bottle) weighing 1,500 grams or less. The water is forced out by compressed air. It is an example of Newton's third law of motion.

:WRA2: Newest WRA2 members: :WRA2:

Berger Tomáš from Litomyšl, Czech Republic,
Blackhawk from Morrow, USA,
Anachronist from Mountain View, CA, USA,
Alfonso Gomez Paiva from São Paulo, Brasil,
and Rufus01 from Minneapolis, USA

Simple method for adding O-Ring to Clark Cable Tie Launchers

Members post instructions to construct water rockets, launchers, deployment systems, staging mechanisms, splicing bottles, and payloads.
onefromb5
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: Simple method for adding O-Ring to Clark Cable Tie Launchers

Postby onefromb5 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:37 am

Being in the automotive industry, I may have a solution for those who have an issue with the oring sealing.
The typical black o-rings are the industry standard. I would go to your local auto parts store and try to get either a BLUE "silicone" o-ring or a GREEN "air conditioning" o-ring. The green ones are a bit thicker and will make a nice seal.
addstogether2
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Postby addstogether2 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:21 am

Welcome to the forum. :W

I will be heading off to my auto store tomorrow. TH:

Al
onefromb5
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Postby onefromb5 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:58 pm

After doing some research and some measuring I found the size for the o-ring for the launch tube, Measurements are Inside diameter (ID) 14mm x Outside diameter (OD)23mm. It also relates to the following number AS568-310.

Will be shopping around and for above o-ring on Monday when my vendors open up. I will report back with findings.
onefromb5
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Postby onefromb5 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:46 am

This is an update on my last post about the oring. I bought a pack of 50 because that's the only way they sold them.
Well the oring I bought, as568-310 is just a little too big, when put on the 3/8 cpvc tube the bottle wont fit over the oring. It fits perfectly when not on the cpvc tube. So either I need to ream out the bottle mouth or make the oring D-shaped by modding it. Will keep updated on progress.
onefromb5
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Postby onefromb5 » Wed May 03, 2017 12:18 pm

Well I figured it out. This is the link to the o-ring I bought and am using. It seals the mouth perfectly. 9/16"ID X 13/16"OD X 1/8"CS

http://www.theoringstore.com/index.php? ... ts_id=1200

Now granted the minimum you have to order is 13 but at $0.04 and shipping i paid like $8.00 US.

it's worth it to have a few spares sitting around just in case or to build more launchers. OR you can contact me and I'll send you one.

Return to “Water Rocket Construction and How To”