U.S. Water Rockets Axial Parachute Ejection System

Discussions about rockets, construction materials, adhesives, nozzles, nosecones and fin design.
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

U.S. Water Rockets Axial Parachute Ejection System

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

The objective of this tutorial is to demonstrate how to build a completely new type of parachute ejection system for water rockets. This system was developed to fill the need for a reliable parachute ejection system that could be made from common materials which was very easy and fast to make. Historically, ease of assembly and reliability have been mutually exclusive goals. This prompted U.S. Water Rockets to take a "clean slate" approach to the problem. This tutorial will explain how to construct the latest version of the U.S. Water Rockets Axial Parachute Ejection System. This deployment system can be modified to be triggered using a tomy timer and does not require any electronics to function

The tutorial can be found at:

http://www.uswaterrockets.com/construct ... torial.htm
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
Alien Space Agency
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: U.S. Water Rockets Axial Parachute Ejection System

Post by Alien Space Agency »

After realizing its real hard work to repair a side deploy (not your Radial Deploy), I tried to build one, but modified it to use a tomy timer.

The mods are:

1. Instead of wavy lobes I made 5 " legs". It slides over the bottle. The benefits with this type of cone is less chance of premature deploys. It also increases band surface area (you can use smaller bands or in my situation, a chain of small bands)

2. No cone space. The legs' roots are 1 cm below the mold line. This increases ejection power. In connection with mod 1, it can also accommodate various sizes of chutes.

3. Free cone. Instead of tying the cone to the rocket, which in my case would be tied externally, I let the rocket fall down to earth without any recovery system. It also helps in timing-based altitude recording (Straton EX2 takes 3 secs to reach apogee - timer is set to 3 secs as well)

This could be a viable mod with the recovery system.
Nothing can stop a curious mind from inventing- Anonymous
Burrs

Re: U.S. Water Rockets Axial Parachute Ejection System

Post by Burrs »

Sounds interesting the way you've setup the mods, do you have any pictures or an update?