foaming

Discussions about rockets, construction materials, adhesives, nozzles, nosecones and fin design.
rajath bhargav

foaming

Post by rajath bhargav »

How to build a single staged water rocket with jet foaming? :?:
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: foaming

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

rajath bhargav wrote:How to build a single staged water rocket with jet foaming? :?:
We'd like to help you but we don't have much experience with foam. Putting soap into the ground is not allowed where we launch because it is harmful to the lake nearby. There are a few eco friendly foam agents we have tried but they do not foam well. You will have to hope our resident expert on foam techniques will respond.

He's very shy. MO:
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
RubberDucky
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by RubberDucky »

I want to try this as well. I was thinking of this way of making foam but would have to figure out how to get
it in to the rocket. So its hydrogenperoxide, eco soap, dry yeast (and water to mix yeast in). This would be cool foam in a rocket you can add food coloring into it to. To see it check out utube science bob made foam i thought it would be cool to put it in a rocket.
Muzza
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Muzza »

I've made a couple of test flights with a foam system that is basically a short length of plastic pipe that's a tight fit into the neck of the bottom bottle, which is then held in place by a screw on gardena type nozzle (aircommand style). The pipe goes only part way up through the water. Just above the neck of the bottle I have drilled a ring of small holes around the pipe.
The theory is that at takeoff, it will be all water going down the pipe, giving good grunt off the pad, then once the water level is down to the top of the pipe, it will be air going down the pipe, the last of the water entering from the ring of small holes, bingo, we're making foam!
I have no hard data on if it makes the rocket go higher, but it certainly increased the woohoo factor of the launch, leaving a awesome trail of foam across the sky :D
Still lots of testing to do as to the ideal length of the pipe, and the number and size of the holes, but I am currently in a rebuilding phase following a parachute deploy-on-impact event :oops:
Muzza
Muzza
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Muzza »

short video of the final fatal flight of the above foam system
http://s1263.photobucket.com/albums/ii6 ... flight.mp4