Welcome to the Water Rocket Forum, sponsored by The Water Rocket Achievement World Record Association.

The largest, most sophisticated and ground breaking group supporting you, the serious water rocket flyer! Whether you are a beginner or an expert, the WRA2 has something for everyone.

A water rocket is a type of model rocket using water as its reaction mass. The pressure vessel (the engine of the rocket) is constructed from thin plastic or other non metallic materials (usually a used plastic soft drink bottle) weighing 1,500 grams or less. The water is forced out by compressed air. It is an example of Newton's third law of motion.

How would I launch my rocket?

Members post instructions to construct water rockets, launchers, deployment systems, staging mechanisms, splicing bottles, and payloads.
Tjakka5

How would I launch my rocket?

Post by Tjakka5 » Wed May 28, 2014 10:53 am

Hello,

I am really new to rocket building and all.
Just now I (nearly) finished my first rocket. It consists of 2 bottles.

1 being untouched and is the booster, and the other one is a cargo bay which holds the parachute and deploys it when the booster is out of juice.
So, the usual basics.

Now, what I want to do is to fill it up with water, then air and get it to ~100 psi(?). We have a machine for that at home.
Then I want to walk over to a field, pull a string or something, and the rocket would launch.

How would I achieve this? I've seen people use a cork and then put pressure on it until it pops, but thats not what I want.
I've also seen people use something that fits on the bottle, which would possibly be what I want. But I do not know what this is.

I'd rather not spend much money on this. But I am fine with 5,-.
I want to see if rocket building is a hobby I'd enjoy, and for now I'd rather not spend to much money on it.

Thanks in advance.

Tjakka5

Re: How would I launch my rocket?

Post by Tjakka5 » Fri May 30, 2014 4:27 am

I tried using a bicycle pump, by just pumping until the rocket would shoot itself up.
Instead, I made the pump explode. Luckely not breaking the pump itself.

The rocket shot about 2 mm before going back down again.
Can anybody please give me some guidelines?

Little-Acorn

Re: How would I launch my rocket?

Post by Little-Acorn » Fri May 30, 2014 1:30 pm

Several people have put together simple machines with a "lock" that hold the rocket down while you pump it up. There are a number available on this forum, or you can build your own.

I designed one for our local Cub Scout pack that works pretty well. Drew up a parts list and instructions for making it, if you want to have a look.

Look in the "Water Rocket Compressors and Launchers" section, and see my post on "Heavy-duty Wood-frame Rocket Launcher". The document with parts list and instructions is attached at the bottom of the post.

Most parts are from Home Depot, plus a few from a hobby shop and NAPA Auto parts. It's not too tough, if you have a few simple hand tools.

Last weekend the rockets were going 100-200 feet up (30-60 meters).