How would I launch my rocket?

Discussions about rockets, construction materials, adhesives, nozzles, nosecones and fin design.
Tjakka5

How would I launch my rocket?

Post by Tjakka5 »

Hello,

I am really new to rocket building and all.
Just now I (nearly) finished my first rocket. It consists of 2 bottles.

1 being untouched and is the booster, and the other one is a cargo bay which holds the parachute and deploys it when the booster is out of juice.
So, the usual basics.

Now, what I want to do is to fill it up with water, then air and get it to ~100 psi(?). We have a machine for that at home.
Then I want to walk over to a field, pull a string or something, and the rocket would launch.

How would I achieve this? I've seen people use a cork and then put pressure on it until it pops, but thats not what I want.
I've also seen people use something that fits on the bottle, which would possibly be what I want. But I do not know what this is.

I'd rather not spend much money on this. But I am fine with 5,-.
I want to see if rocket building is a hobby I'd enjoy, and for now I'd rather not spend to much money on it.

Thanks in advance.
Tjakka5

Re: How would I launch my rocket?

Post by Tjakka5 »

I tried using a bicycle pump, by just pumping until the rocket would shoot itself up.
Instead, I made the pump explode. Luckely not breaking the pump itself.

The rocket shot about 2 mm before going back down again.
Can anybody please give me some guidelines?
Little-Acorn

Re: How would I launch my rocket?

Post by Little-Acorn »

Several people have put together simple machines with a "lock" that hold the rocket down while you pump it up. There are a number available on this forum, or you can build your own.

I designed one for our local Cub Scout pack that works pretty well. Drew up a parts list and instructions for making it, if you want to have a look.

Look in the "Water Rocket Compressors and Launchers" section, and see my post on "Heavy-duty Wood-frame Rocket Launcher". The document with parts list and instructions is attached at the bottom of the post.

Most parts are from Home Depot, plus a few from a hobby shop and NAPA Auto parts. It's not too tough, if you have a few simple hand tools.

Last weekend the rockets were going 100-200 feet up (30-60 meters).