How would I build a water rocket with a helicopter recovery system?

Discussions about rockets, construction materials, adhesives, nozzles, nosecones and fin design.
jonzeyyy

How would I build a water rocket with a helicopter recovery system?

Post by jonzeyyy »

Hello!

I am new to this website and I was directed from someone on Reddit but I am looking for help on my job of creating a helicopter type of water rocket that will slowly flutter down.

What materials would I need to gather? and how would I make it pop out? Thanks!
skysaber89
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: How would I build a water rocket with a helicopter recovery system?

Post by skysaber89 »

May I just ask why you wish to build such a system? It is far easier to make a parachute.

However, it does sound like an interesting idea. I may look into it a bit further and get back to you.
Blenderite
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Blenderite »

:W WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!!!!! :W

Are you wanting to build this as a electronics free rocket? If so that will make your job 100x more difficult to get a reliable system. I would go for a USWR ALTImeter computer to time the release of a blade mechanism. You will also need to make sure that the CG is at the bottom of the rocket or it will fall nose first every time (I think, correct me if I am wrong).

Basically, yes it is doable, but if this is your first rocket, which it sounds like it might be, I would start with a parachute recovery system just so you can get the basics down, then go for a more complicated system like what you are talking about here.

Just my 2 cents.

-Blenderite
-Blenderite

Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/Blenderite

"Get it right, then go for GREATNESS!"
anoymous

Post by anoymous »

Blenderite wrote::W WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!!!!! :W

Are you wanting to build this as a electronics free rocket? If so that will make your job 100x more difficult to get a reliable system. I would go for a USWR ALTImeter computer to time the release of a blade mechanism. You will also need to make sure that the CG is at the bottom of the rocket or it will fall nose first every time (I think, correct me if I am wrong).

Basically, yes it is doable, but if this is your first rocket, which it sounds like it might be, I would start with a parachute recovery system just so you can get the basics down, then go for a more complicated system like what you are talking about here.

Just my 2 cents.

-Blenderite
if i recall correctly, the center of gravity has to be below the center of pressure
and as i can imagine a helicopter system is kinda heavy, this could pose a problem.
maybe you can and move the Cp up and the Cg down?
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein

Sorry for malconstructions in my sentences, I am Belgian. And I was never good at making easy sentences.
skysaber89
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by skysaber89 »

anoymous wrote:

Just my 2 cents.

-Blenderite
if i recall correctly, the center of gravity has to be below the center of pressure
and as i can imagine a helicopter system is kinda heavy, this could pose a problem.

You got the two mixed up, cp should be behind cg.
Blenderite
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Blenderite »

Sorry if I got that wrong. I am not a physics guy! I just launch and hope it works!
-Blenderite

Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/Blenderite

"Get it right, then go for GREATNESS!"
anoymous

Post by anoymous »

skysaber89 wrote:
anoymous wrote:

Just my 2 cents.

-Blenderite

You got the two mixed up, cp should be behind cg.
i wasnt sure
thanks for correcting!
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein

Sorry for malconstructions in my sentences, I am Belgian. And I was never good at making easy sentences.
Braaainz
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Braaainz »

Granted, I haven't tried anything like this so I'm probably wrong, but this sounds relatively do-able.

Cut plastic bottle up into large shaped propeller blades. Ideally, make hinges using paper clips with the hinges glued to the rocket body with lo-temp glue gun (make sure rocket body is filled with cold water before gluing so it is not damaged by the glue)

Create rectangular fins made of corrugated plastic. Attach rectangular shaped fins made out of corrugated plastic at bottom of rocket just below each propeller blade.

Use a rubber band radial deployment system, ex. rubber band is wrapped in a spiral down the body of the rocket and the blades. The rubber bands keep the blades flush to the body during launch.

Using a timer, time the rubber band to release near apogee. They open and the hinged blades fall against the fins directly below them, keeping them at a 90 degree angle.