Tree Recovery

Who invented it, who was first etc. This forum will be for members to hash out disagreements. Please keep all disagreements within this forum and keep the discussions civil (no profanity please).
Team Seneca
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Tree Recovery

Post by Team Seneca »

Cloud Dancers wrote:I stick to my opinion that this was not a experiment to further the science of water rocketry. If it was then he would have contributed to the forum about it prior to launching. This was a publicity stunt. He was hoping to make one of those (viral videos) on youtube to drive up traffic on his personal website so that he could peddle his "flight computers" or whatever else he has "borrowed" from this forum or other places on the web.

He has had a history of this in the past along with slack safety standards for his flight crew.

Think of him as the "used car salesman" of water rocketry. :roll: and you will understand him.
Funny you should mention that. Did anyone catch his latest "invention"? He borrowed yet another idea and posted it on his webpage for his own. He is trying to claim he thought up a timed release parachute line that would free a tree stuck rocket. Next thing you know he's going to "invent" the cable tie launcher and the internet.

Tsk. Tsk tsk.
Bill W.
Team Seneca
Andromeda

Re: Urgent Safety Warning for Air Command

Post by Andromeda »

Team Seneca wrote:
Cloud Dancers wrote:I stick to my opinion that this was not a experiment to further the science of water rocketry. If it was then he would have contributed to the forum about it prior to launching. This was a publicity stunt. He was hoping to make one of those (viral videos) on youtube to drive up traffic on his personal website so that he could peddle his "flight computers" or whatever else he has "borrowed" from this forum or other places on the web.

He has had a history of this in the past along with slack safety standards for his flight crew.

Think of him as the "used car salesman" of water rocketry. :roll: and you will understand him.
Funny you should mention that. Did anyone catch his latest "invention"? He borrowed yet another idea and posted it on his webpage for his own. He is trying to claim he thought up a timed release parachute line that would free a tree stuck rocket. Next thing you know he's going to "invent" the cable tie launcher and the internet.

Tsk. Tsk tsk.
Now you're going to say you invented the same thing? I checked your messages and I didn't see any mention of that idea, so it's tyour word against his!!!!!!

I get it already that you believe he steals your ideas but you can't say that unless you can back it up or else it's just a matter of your word versus his and that proves nothing!!!!

So you only make yourself look bad if you just cry foul all the tiime!!!!
Andromeda
No matter where you go, there you are.
- Buckaroo Bansia
TDFwaterrockets
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Tree Detachment system!

Post by TDFwaterrockets »

Hi

Don't you hate it when your rocket gets stuck in a tree!!!

Check out this link from Aircommand Waterrockets about their new solution:
Air command rockets

Does anyone else want to share any ideas about saving you rocket from rocket eating trees?

TDFwaterrockets
http://tdfwaterrockets.blogspot.com/
Brian
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: Tree Recovery

Post by Brian »

a recovery system other than a parachute like backsliding or streamer recovery. no parachute to get tangeled.
Ascender Water Rockets
http://ascenderwaterrockets.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCS2NHXS-VFxEux70DCINR0w
Andromeda

Re: Tree Detachment system!

Post by Andromeda »

TDFwaterrockets wrote:Hi

Don't you hate it when your rocket gets stuck in a tree!!!

Check out this link from Aircommand Waterrockets about their new solution:

Air command rockets

Does anyone else want to share any ideas about saving you rocket from rocket eating trees?

TDFwaterrockets
http://tdfwaterrockets.blogspot.com/

How about to launch where there are no trees around?
Andromeda
- Buckaroo Bansia
Team Seneca
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Team Seneca »

Andromeda wrote:
Team Seneca wrote:

Tsk. Tsk tsk.
Now you're going to say you invented the same thing? I checked your messages and I didn't see any mention of that idea, so it's tyour word against his!!!!!!

I get it already that you believe he steals your ideas but you can't say that unless you can back it up or else it's just a matter of your word versus his and that proves nothing!!!!

So you only make yourself look bad if you just cry foul all the tiime!!!!
Hey smartypants I never claimed that I invented it, did I? If you read what he said he claimed one of his friends inspired him to come up with the thing. The issue I have is that other people have been doing this for years. I've had it on my flight computer for the better part of the last decade! I think it was even discussed on this forum but I can't find it right now. I did a quick google and found at least one reference to a servo parachute tree release right here: http://www.harrison-croft.com/spitfire/ (near the bottom of the page). I've shown more examples I can count of Air Command Water Rockets trying to steal inventions and use them for shameless self promotion. I can't believe you would defend this con artist. Don't be a sucker.

What's he going to release next? The "Katz Zip Tie Launcher" and the "Air Command Squished Tube Staging Mechanism"? Maybe if you continue to act like a fanboy psychophant he'll reward you with more of these innovations?
Bill W.
Team Seneca
Tim Chen
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Tim Chen »

Bill,

I found the old MSN Group messages in my inbox. The odd thing is that George was discussing the exact same design years ago. Why does he go out of his way to credit some n00b with the inspiration?
Sent: 3/4/2007 10:03 PM, Air Command wrote: Dragracer,

I've had several thoughts on how to help get rockets down if they get stuck in a tree. Since most rockets get caught up by the parachute, why not make the parachute line really long, say 15 - 20 feet, that way the rocket hangs lower to the ground where it can be reached.

Alternatively you could deploy a lighter string along with the parachute and the string has a small weight on it. When the rocket gets stuck, the string hangs down and you can pull the rocket down.

The rocket could also cut the parachute line after a period of time, or have it dissolve the attachment point after it gets rained on.

As a last resort there is always a chainsaw..... :)

- George
Tim Chen
Captain, Team Enterprise
Andrewlee
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Andrewlee »

The truth is, we all come up with alot of the same ideas. It's not like we don't have the internet, and we don't share ideas. If that were the case, then one person could take credit for all original ideas. I figured out how to do the air speed flap before I ever started reading the water rocket annex site. I could easily say that I came up with that idea, because I did. But, I give credit to the guy who did it first. In all rights, the idea he uses, may be his own idea, weather or not some one came up with it before, or after him.
I found the best way isn't to argue with anyone about it.....but to show our own ingenuity, and strive to show we are the best. If he is stealing ideas and calling them his own, all sin is found out eventually. I'ld say, just keep doing what US Water Rockets does, keep pushing on and kicking the snot out of the competition. That's what I'm trying to do....show my own ideas by being the best I can.
Arguing doesn't solve fights, having the biggest baddest army, and stopping every one into the ground does.
"Speak softly, but carry a big stick"
-Andrew Lee

http://thruststormrockets.blogspot.com/
Andromeda

Post by Andromeda »

Team Seneca wrote: Hey smartypants I never claimed that I invented it, did I? If you read what he said he claimed one of his friends inspired him to come up with the thing. The issue I have is that other people have been doing this for years. I've had it on my flight computer for the better part of the last decade! I think it was even discussed on this forum but I can't find it right now. I did a quick google and found at least one reference to a servo parachute tree release right here: http://www.harrison-croft.com/spitfire/ (near the bottom of the page). I've shown more examples I can count of Air Command Water Rockets trying to steal inventions and use them for shameless self promotion. I can't believe you would defend this con artist. Don't be a sucker.

What's he going to release next? The "Katz Zip Tie Launcher" and the "Air Command Squished Tube Staging Mechanism"? Maybe if you continue to act like a fanboy psychophant he'll reward you with more of these innovations?
That's going a bit far, isn't it? There is always a lot of duplication of efforts in this biz. Everybody is eventually going to come up with the same ideas. George is on here and hardly ever talks anymore. He's probably not going to ever share anything with us now that any idea is going to get scrutinized like you do! Way to go!
Andromeda
- Buckaroo Bansia
chriswaterrockets
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by chriswaterrockets »

Hey Smartypant Bill...
Neither did George, He never claimed to have invented it. All he does is posting his work on the internet. I'm kinda getting sick of this discussion and this forum, for example why is air command listed only as a "registered user" and not as an advanced one....????
As to the flour rockets, I talked to him and he is well aware of what can happen with flour. He knows what he's doing!
so long
rockets-in-brighton

Post by rockets-in-brighton »

chriswaterrockets wrote:Hey Smartypant Bill...
Neither did George, He never claimed to have invented it. All he does is posting his work on the internet. I'm kinda getting sick of this discussion and this forum, for example why is air command listed only as a "registered user" and not as an advanced one....????
As to the flour rockets, I talked to him and he is well aware of what can happen with flour. He knows what he's doing!
so long
Christian, you are a valued contributor, please don't get driven away by poor behaviour. It will probably always be like this, here or elsewhere, might as well put up with it.

PS The forum ratings are based solely on the number of posts made.
Cheers
Steve
Rockets-in-Brighton
WEB: http://groups.google.co.uk/group/rockets-in-brighton
WRA2
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by WRA2 »

chriswaterrockets wrote: for example why is air command listed only as a "registered user" and not as an advanced one....????
We have automatic software that changes the "display icons" for the members when they earn an "advanced" user status and there must be an error which caused his icon to stay yellow. Air Command has access to and has posted in the "advanced forum". Funny how I have not seen a message from George concerning his icon color. The software may have been installed/updated after he had advanced into that group. I will investigate why the icon colors have not changed as there may be more of them.

Maybe this could have come to light sooner if George contributed to the forum more frequently. The WRA2 forum is here to unite the water rocket community and George could help that by participating more in the everyday conversations on the forum and acknowledge that he recieved an idea from this forum when he discusses them elsewhere.

As far as the flour goes, it was me that posted the safety warning trying to be helpful (some members contacted me with their safety concerns).
Lisa Walker,
:WRA2: Forum Administrator. :WRA2:
:WRA2:The Water Rocket Achievement World Record Association :WRA2:
WRA2
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by WRA2 »

rockets-in-brighton wrote:
chriswaterrockets wrote:Hey Smartypant Bill...
so long
Christian, you are a valued contributor, please don't get driven away by poor behaviour. It will probably always be like this, here or elsewhere, might as well put up with it.

PS The forum ratings are based solely on the number of posts made.
Thanks Steve,

Well said,
The forum is here to unite the water rocket community. :WRA2:

Maybe some of you that "talk to" George could convince him of that.
Lisa Walker,
chriswaterrockets
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by chriswaterrockets »

Sorry you guys, I lost my temper... :oops:
Steve, you're a nice guy, thanks for the reminder about my behaviour.
Lisa, Sorry I didn't tell you about the registered user issue in a normal way.
WRA2
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by WRA2 »

chriswaterrockets wrote:Sorry you guys, I lost my temper... :oops:
Steve, you're a nice guy, thanks for the reminder about my behaviour.
Lisa, Sorry I didn't tell you about the registered user issue in a normal way.
No problem.

I have found a few more icons that did not change color and am still investigating. It appears to be related to what date the user first signed up to the forum.
Lisa Walker,