Ideas for WR-car speed record

Discussions about rockets, construction materials, adhesives, nozzles, nosecones and fin design.
RaZias
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Ideas for WR-car speed record

Post by RaZias »

I was imagining how it would be the speed record for a WR-car.

I know that 400 km/h is a football field per second :D , that is near the speed of X-12 (I think).

So adding the drag that would reduce the speed, altough a high speed is still possible.

Since is hard to find a very long non-busy road so the rocket could go from zero to zero and since launching a high-speed projectile in the ground could be dangerous I think it would be better to limit the rocket´s volume so it would run fast but not by to long.

That measure reminds of the Bugatti Veyron, its wheels allows it to stay at 400 km/h for 15 minutes...but for security the fuel tank has fuel only for 13 minutes at that speed.

It´s needless to say that any form of breaking mecanism is useless...no one has a reaction time to activate it before the rocket passes 40 meters at 200 km/h.

Conclusion:

- What is the minimal volume for a WR-car speed record ?
- What is the minimal distance accepted for a WR-car speed record ?
- How the speed record will be measured ? By a radar-speed-gun-toy ?
Research and Development is the soul of WR
thampson
Current WRA2 Dragster Speed & Distance Record Holder
Current WRA2 Dragster Speed & Distance Record Holder

Re: Ideas for WR-car speed record

Post by thampson »

Razius,
Parachutes work fine out the back of a water rocket car to slow down so you are not limited by the length of road you have available. There are many options to control the release, a timer, r/c release, pressure switch to release the parachute.

Your terminal velocity is right after the air pulse burnout , so you can have a pressure switch release the chute when you sense a minium pressure in the bottle for example. This way you can build a larger capacity car but still use a short road :)

-todd-
HHWRSA
Hornsby Heights Water Rocket Space Agency
http://wrocket.hampson.net.au
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

thampson wrote:Razius,
Parachutes work fine out the back of a water rocket car to slow down so you are not limited by the length of road you have available. There are many options to control the release, a timer, r/c release, pressure switch to release the parachute.

Your terminal velocity is right after the air pulse burnout , so you can have a pressure switch release the chute when you sense a minium pressure in the bottle for example. This way you can build a larger capacity car but still use a short road :)

-todd-
You could use an electronic release and trigger it with a light beam at the end of your run. That would be a really nice way to handle drag chute deploy.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
RaZias
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by RaZias »

I was thinking in using a PVC pipe as a rocket vessel for a WR-car since the weight doesn´t matter.
It would be surronded by wood to avoid the shatering of a blast.

The PVC pipe advantages:

- It would make a bigger nozzle (ex.: bigger than 30mm) the problem would be to use a big O-ring system.

- It allows the use of bigger pressure without demanding extra-reinforcement.
Research and Development is the soul of WR