WR-car competition rules discussion

Discussions about rockets, construction materials, adhesives, nozzles, nosecones and fin design.
RaZias
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

WR-car competition rules discussion

Post by RaZias »

I see that in no way a WR-car might have guiding system that is outside of itself.

But I wonder if we can use a guiding rail like we do for 9mm nozzle rockets ?

Maybe a rail of the the same lenght (or with the doble of the lenght) of the WR-car could help in a WR-speed competition.

So is this acceptable ?
Research and Development is the soul of WR
thampson
Current WRA2 Dragster Speed & Distance Record Holder
Current WRA2 Dragster Speed & Distance Record Holder

Re: WR-car competition rules discussion

Post by thampson »

RaZias .. :)

I dont think it will make much difference to be honest to keep the car straight after it leaves the guide rail. I know when we started making 1 bottle cars that they started out straight for the first few metres then did a 90 or 180 degree turns if we had too much thrust. Have a look at these videos to see what I mean

Look at 1:35 of this video, as soon as we had too much thrust (140psi) it spun, less thrust it went pretty straight
[youtube][/youtube]

Also this one, look at 1:37, left hand 90 degree turn when there was too much thrust, you will see at 120psi the same car went pretty straight
[youtube][/youtube]

Having said that I cant see why a guide rail shouldn't be allowed for the first 2m or so.

-todd-
HHWRSA
Hornsby Heights Water Rocket Space Agency
http://wrocket.hampson.net.au
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: WR-car competition rules discussion

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

thampson wrote:RaZias .. :)

I dont think it will make much difference to be honest to keep the car straight after it leaves the guide rail. I know when we started making 1 bottle cars that they started out straight for the first few metres then did a 90 or 180 degree turns if we had too much thrust. Have a look at these videos to see what I mean

Look at 1:35 of this video, as soon as we had too much thrust (140psi) it spun, less thrust it went pretty straight
[youtube][/youtube]

Also this one, look at 1:37, left hand 90 degree turn when there was too much thrust, you will see at 120psi the same car went pretty straight
[youtube][/youtube]

Having said that I cant see why a guide rail shouldn't be allowed for the first 2m or so.

-todd-

For a competition, the guide rail should be limited in length to something reasonable. It might be a good idea to say that the maximum length of any guide system would be two times the length of the car. That would be an easy to verify size that could be checked in photographs and videos.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison