Welcome to the Water Rocket Forum, sponsored by The Water Rocket Achievement World Record Association.

Since our founding in 2003, we've become the largest, most sophisticated and ground breaking group supporting you, the serious water rocket flyer! Whether you are a beginner or an expert, the WRA2 has something for everyone.

A water rocket is a type of model rocket using water as its reaction mass. The pressure vessel (the engine of the rocket) is constructed from thin plastic or other non metallic materials (usually a used plastic soft drink bottle) weighing 1,500 grams or less. The water is forced out by compressed air. It is an example of Newton's third law of motion.


Hello Everyone. It is that time of year again. Time to approve changes to the competition rules for the new year.

You Can vote at:
viewtopic.php?f=32&p=19486#p19486

Please take the time to vote. TH:

Bobsled

Discussions about water rocket powered cars, sleds or boats.
User avatar
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member
Posts: 1086
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:47 am

Bobsled

Post by bugwubber » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:47 am

We were asked to make a Den centerpiece for the Scout's Blue and Gold ceremony. This year the theme is Olymics of course. Our Den will finish decorating this with duct tape on Thursday. I'll post the results.
CAM00656.jpg
What's that? Oh the bottles? Well, they never said our centerpieces couldn't be water rocket bobsleds...

We're going to call this first one Mayhem.

Bugwubber
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.


Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.

User avatar
Blenderite
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member
Posts: 438
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:49 pm

Re: Bobsled

Post by Blenderite » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:19 am

Could have done skis with 2 litres strapped on the back. That would have been interesting.

Also, I have wondered. How does a water rocket behave if you put snow in it instead of liquid water?


-Blenderite

Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/Blenderite

"Get it right, then go for GREATNESS!"

User avatar
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member
Posts: 1086
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:47 am

Re: Bobsled

Post by bugwubber » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:59 am

DogLover wrote:Could have done skis with 2 litres strapped on the back. That would have been interesting.
We've got the skis covered with another one. This one we're going to launch a couple at a time, drag race style. Provided we can get them to go somewhat straight.
DogLover wrote: Also, I have wondered. How does a water rocket behave if you put snow in it instead of liquid water?
Well I don't know, I'll find out at lunch time.

Bugwubber


Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.

User avatar
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member
Posts: 1086
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:47 am

Re: Bobsled

Post by bugwubber » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:28 pm

[marquee][/marquee]I wish I could show how the bobbleheads turned out, they are a riot. We had them act scared and screaming. They will only bobble for the centerpiece portion of its life. The rest of it is coming along nicely. Still need to attach the body to the runners.

Bugwubber
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.


Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.

User avatar
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member
Posts: 1086
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:47 am

Re: Bobsled

Post by bugwubber » Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:10 pm

Here's the trial runs of the Mayhem Bobsled.
First run at 30psi, air only. Next 2 runs with snow at 60psi.

The full speed runs will have to wait until after next weekend since we don't want to risk destroying the centerpiece.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBgzLZOITzk

Bugwubber


Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.

User avatar
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member
Posts: 1771
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:24 pm

Re: Bobsled

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:56 pm

bugwubber wrote:Here's the trial runs of the Mayhem Bobsled.
First run at 30psi, air only. Next 2 runs with snow at 60psi.

The full speed runs will have to wait until after next weekend since we don't want to risk destroying the centerpiece.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBgzLZOITzk

Bugwubber
It takes dedication to get out and launch in the snow! We know what a pain in the butt it is going out in the cold to launch! At least we are over the hump and things will be getting warmer soon! Good seeing you coming up with more innovations!


Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison

User avatar
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member
Posts: 1086
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:47 am

Re: Bobsled

Post by bugwubber » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:17 am

U.S. Water Rockets1 wrote:
bugwubber wrote:Here's the trial runs of the Mayhem Bobsled.
First run at 30psi, air only. Next 2 runs with snow at 60psi.

The full speed runs will have to wait until after next weekend since we don't want to risk destroying the centerpiece.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBgzLZOITzk

Bugwubber
It takes dedication to get out and launch in the snow! We know what a pain in the butt it is going out in the cold to launch! At least we are over the hump and things will be getting warmer soon! Good seeing you coming up with more innovations!
Thanks! I had some help...
CAM00690.jpg
Here's a launcher picture. It just so happened the centerpiece was exactly the right height for my horizontal launcher. Hmm what a strange coincidence....
CAM00688.jpg
Bugwubber
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.


Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.

User avatar
Spaceman Spiff
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member
Posts: 681
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:06 am

Re: Bobsled

Post by Spaceman Spiff » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:07 pm

I love how you decorate your launchers!


Spaceman Spiff
"What goes up, must come down"

User avatar
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member
Posts: 1086
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:47 am

Re: Bobsled

Post by bugwubber » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:48 pm

Spaceman Spiff wrote:I love how you decorate your launchers!
Thanks! I used red paint and white duct tape on the release bar and red duct tape on the legs. Battleship gray paint for the cross beam. I've been surprised at how well the duct tape has held up.

Bugwubber


Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.

User avatar
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member
Posts: 1771
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:24 pm

Re: Bobsled

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:07 pm

bugwubber wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:I love how you decorate your launchers!
Thanks! I used red paint and white duct tape on the release bar and red duct tape on the legs. Battleship gray paint for the cross beam. I've been surprised at how well the duct tape has held up.

Bugwubber
We're not surprised you were impressed with the strength of duct tape. We use it with great success in our slip joint splice technique, because it takes the place of PET straps and also makes the joints look so nice. Some people think it's just decorative, but that is only part of the function. The tape keeps the joint from swelling and tearing apart. It's perfect for the application because it has strength and elasticity.


Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison

User avatar
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member
Posts: 1086
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:47 am

Re: Bobsled

Post by bugwubber » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:30 pm

U.S. Water Rockets1 wrote:
bugwubber wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:I love how you decorate your launchers!
Thanks! I used red paint and white duct tape on the release bar and red duct tape on the legs. Battleship gray paint for the cross beam. I've been surprised at how well the duct tape has held up.

Bugwubber
We're not surprised you were impressed with the strength of duct tape. We use it with great success in our slip joint splice technique, because it takes the place of PET straps and also makes the joints look so nice. Some people think it's just decorative, but that is only part of the function. The tape keeps the joint from swelling and tearing apart. It's perfect for the application because it has strength and elasticity.
Yes, I understand the duct tape in integral now. Also cheap knock off duct tape is worthless. Duck brand and Gorilla are the only ones worth buying IMHO.

Bugwubber


Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.

User avatar
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member
Posts: 621
Joined: Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:39 am

Re: Bobsled

Post by Water Rocket Expert » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:33 pm

Yes, I understand the duct tape in integral now. Also cheap knock off duct tape is worthless. Duck brand and Gorilla are the only ones worth buying IMHO.

Bugwubber[/quote]

I couldn't agree more. Dollar store tape sucks and others do too. Spend at least four or five bucks on the real stuff at Home Depot or Wal-Mart.



User avatar
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member
Posts: 1086
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:47 am

Re: Bobsled

Post by bugwubber » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:17 am

Trouble's a brewin. Looks like Mayhem is bringing his friends.
CAM00748.jpg
I think at this point it is plainly evident I have no use for a PVC fence in my yard.

Bugwubber
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.


Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.

User avatar
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member
Posts: 621
Joined: Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:39 am

Re: Bobsled

Post by Water Rocket Expert » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:56 pm

PVC fence. I have never heard of that and what would it be used for.

Water Rocket Expert



User avatar
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member
Posts: 1086
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:47 am

Re: Bobsled

Post by bugwubber » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:41 pm

Water Rocket Expert wrote:PVC fence. I have never heard of that and what would it be used for.

Water Rocket Expert
For people who don't want to have to white warsh their fences and don't have enterprising young delinquents to trick the neighborhood kids into doing it for them.


http://m.lowes.com/product?langId=-1&st ... lue=SEARCH

They are sold as "Vinyl" Fences.

Bugwubber


Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.

Post Reply