Bobsled

Discussions about rockets, construction materials, adhesives, nozzles, nosecones and fin design.
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Bobsled

Post by bugwubber »

We were asked to make a Den centerpiece for the Scout's Blue and Gold ceremony. This year the theme is Olymics of course. Our Den will finish decorating this with duct tape on Thursday. I'll post the results.
CAM00656.jpg
CAM00656.jpg (2.28 MiB) Viewed 109 times
What's that? Oh the bottles? Well, they never said our centerpieces couldn't be water rocket bobsleds...

We're going to call this first one Mayhem.

Bugwubber
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
Blenderite
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: Bobsled

Post by Blenderite »

Could have done skis with 2 litres strapped on the back. That would have been interesting.

Also, I have wondered. How does a water rocket behave if you put snow in it instead of liquid water?
-Blenderite

Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/Blenderite

"Get it right, then go for GREATNESS!"
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

DogLover wrote:Could have done skis with 2 litres strapped on the back. That would have been interesting.
We've got the skis covered with another one. This one we're going to launch a couple at a time, drag race style. Provided we can get them to go somewhat straight.
DogLover wrote: Also, I have wondered. How does a water rocket behave if you put snow in it instead of liquid water?
Well I don't know, I'll find out at lunch time.

Bugwubber
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

[marquee][/marquee]I wish I could show how the bobbleheads turned out, they are a riot. We had them act scared and screaming. They will only bobble for the centerpiece portion of its life. The rest of it is coming along nicely. Still need to attach the body to the runners.

Bugwubber
Attachments
CAM00667.jpg
CAM00667.jpg (2.66 MiB) Viewed 93 times
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

Here's the trial runs of the Mayhem Bobsled.
First run at 30psi, air only. Next 2 runs with snow at 60psi.

The full speed runs will have to wait until after next weekend since we don't want to risk destroying the centerpiece.

[youtube][/youtube]

Bugwubber
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

bugwubber wrote:Here's the trial runs of the Mayhem Bobsled.

The full speed runs will have to wait until after next weekend since we don't want to risk destroying the centerpiece.

[youtube][/youtube]

Bugwubber
It takes dedication to get out and launch in the snow! We know what a pain in the butt it is going out in the cold to launch! At least we are over the hump and things will be getting warmer soon! Good seeing you coming up with more innovations!
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

U.S. Water Rockets1 wrote:
bugwubber wrote:Here's the trial runs of the Mayhem Bobsled.

[youtube][/youtube]

Bugwubber
It takes dedication to get out and launch in the snow! We know what a pain in the butt it is going out in the cold to launch! At least we are over the hump and things will be getting warmer soon! Good seeing you coming up with more innovations!
Thanks! I had some help...
The attachment CAM00690.jpg is no longer available
Here's a launcher picture. It just so happened the centerpiece was exactly the right height for my horizontal launcher. Hmm what a strange coincidence....
CAM00688.jpg
CAM00688.jpg (4.93 MiB) Viewed 82 times
Bugwubber
Attachments
CAM00690.jpg
CAM00690.jpg (2.51 MiB) Viewed 54 times
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
Spaceman Spiff
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I love how you decorate your launchers!
Spaceman Spiff
"What goes up, must come down"
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:I love how you decorate your launchers!
Thanks! I used red paint and white duct tape on the release bar and red duct tape on the legs. Battleship gray paint for the cross beam. I've been surprised at how well the duct tape has held up.

Bugwubber
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

bugwubber wrote:
Thanks! I used red paint and white duct tape on the release bar and red duct tape on the legs. Battleship gray paint for the cross beam. I've been surprised at how well the duct tape has held up.

Bugwubber
We're not surprised you were impressed with the strength of duct tape. We use it with great success in our slip joint splice technique, because it takes the place of PET straps and also makes the joints look so nice. Some people think it's just decorative, but that is only part of the function. The tape keeps the joint from swelling and tearing apart. It's perfect for the application because it has strength and elasticity.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

U.S. Water Rockets1 wrote:
bugwubber wrote:

Bugwubber
We're not surprised you were impressed with the strength of duct tape. We use it with great success in our slip joint splice technique, because it takes the place of PET straps and also makes the joints look so nice. Some people think it's just decorative, but that is only part of the function. The tape keeps the joint from swelling and tearing apart. It's perfect for the application because it has strength and elasticity.
Yes, I understand the duct tape in integral now. Also cheap knock off duct tape is worthless. Duck brand and Gorilla are the only ones worth buying IMHO.

Bugwubber
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Water Rocket Expert »

Yes, I understand the duct tape in integral now. Also cheap knock off duct tape is worthless. Duck brand and Gorilla are the only ones worth buying IMHO.

Bugwubber[/quote]

I couldn't agree more. Dollar store tape sucks and others do too. Spend at least four or five bucks on the real stuff at Home Depot or Wal-Mart.
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

Trouble's a brewin. Looks like Mayhem is bringing his friends.
CAM00748.jpg
CAM00748.jpg (2.37 MiB) Viewed 50 times
I think at this point it is plainly evident I have no use for a PVC fence in my yard.

Bugwubber
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Water Rocket Expert »

PVC fence. I have never heard of that and what would it be used for.

Water Rocket Expert
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

Water Rocket Expert wrote:PVC fence. I have never heard of that and what would it be used for.

Water Rocket Expert
For people who don't want to have to white warsh their fences and don't have enterprising young delinquents to trick the neighborhood kids into doing it for them.

http://m.lowes.com/product?langId=-1&st ... lue=SEARCH

They are sold as "Vinyl" Fences.

Bugwubber
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.