one person water rocket powered cart

Discussions about rockets, construction materials, adhesives, nozzles, nosecones and fin design.
diycool

one person water rocket powered cart

Post by diycool »

Hi there,
Just wanted to share a small movie about a water rocket driven cart I made for my son.
Not very spectacular ( it performs exactly as calculated, but the end speed is limited of course).
It would be nice to learn some tips on how I could improve performance.
I don’t want to increase pressure too much for obvious safety reasons.
If the weather gets better I will redo the movie, with some better angles/close-ups.

WasderRockets

Re: one person water rocket powered cart

Post by WasderRockets »

Maybe you should try to use a bigger nozzle so you have a better acceleration. That will be a bit of work because you obviously can't use a hose/tubing that is smaller than the nozzle. With a bigger nozzle you "burn" your "fuel" faster so maybe you should take more water with you and maybe increase the air volume.
We are WasderRockets from Germany!
anachronist
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by anachronist »

Way cool. It actually performs better than I expected before I watched the video. :)

If you used the pressurized water to drive a turbine that turned the wheels, it might be more efficient than using the water as thrust reaction mass.
diycool

Post by diycool »

That is correct, driving a turbine would be much more efficient, but not as spectacular ....
There is indeed a lot of energy stored in the vessel, that is why I put a safety cage around it.
anachronist
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by anachronist »

diycool wrote:That is correct, driving a turbine would be much more efficient, but not as spectacular
Well, I was thinking the water could drive a turbine and provide thrust, in a similar fashion as the exhaust in a turbofan jet engine drives the fan as well as providing thrust. After all, the turbine isn't going to extract all the energy from the water.
diycool

Post by diycool »

Ok, now I got it. That is a good idea : same effect but we could reach a higher speed.
Thanx!
thampson
Current WRA2 Dragster Speed & Distance Record Holder
Current WRA2 Dragster Speed & Distance Record Holder

Post by thampson »

HI, Im a little late to this but save as much weight as you can. Also maybe replace those wheels with 26" bike wheels, much lighter and less rolling resistance. :)

Nice project !!
HHWRSA
Hornsby Heights Water Rocket Space Agency
http://wrocket.hampson.net.au