World's Fastest Water Rocket Car? (50kph)

Discussions about rockets, construction materials, adhesives, nozzles, nosecones and fin design.
rockets-in-brighton

World's Fastest Water Rocket Car? (50kph)

Post by rockets-in-brighton »

From Gotta Launch http://www.gottalaunch.com/science/index.html (the Dutch guys who have the World Record for most simultaneous water rockets launched)...

On their very frustrating website there are scattered references to their plan to build the world's fastest water rocket car. Some extracts from their blog:

"[...] This month, we'll be working hard on yet another project; a water rocket vehicle which will not only be world's fastest water rocket vehicle to date, but will also deliver trust for some disance [...] an aerodynamics boffin from the Delft University of Technology calculated the car will reach about 50 km/h!! (Please don't tell Ruben) [...] we'll probably fit 28 bottles on it, instead of 15, just to make shure it goes fast as hell [...]"

And as a side-note, they also talk about another project...

"A nice and small project for this summer: constructing and launching world's largest water rocket. The plan is to give the rocket a volume of over 400 litres (about 105 gallons), and will consist of 21 massive water cooler bottles.
The rocket will have a length of about 4 metres and will propel it's 140 litres of water in around a second. Currently we're busy with the Water Rocket Car project, where we'll got some more experienced with the water cooler bottles. We'll start on this project around spring of 2010."

I'd be tempted to call it nonsense - except for the fact that they did organise that other World Record. Watch this space...
Cheers
Steve
Rockets-in-Brighton
WEB: http://groups.google.co.uk/group/rockets-in-brighton
RaZias
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: World's Fastest Water Rocket Car? (50kph)

Post by RaZias »

I have a notion about annoucements, rarely they progresse into something real.

It's like a bad luck law, whatever you announce...it doesn't happen...

It's always better to show the results rather to say I will make this and that and bla bla bla, and after nothing is done.

For example I said that I was projecting a high pressure WR-car and, now guess what ?
It looks like the russian space program from the 60's, a low budget for a lot of ideas. :|
Research and Development is the soul of WR
rockets-in-brighton

Re: World's Fastest Water Rocket Car? (50kph)

Post by rockets-in-brighton »

RaZias wrote:I have a notion about annoucements, rarely they progresse into something real.

It's like a bad luck law, whatever you announce...it doesn't happen...

It's always better to show the results rather to say I will make this and that and bla bla bla, and after nothing is done.

For example I said that I was projecting a high pressure WR-car and, now guess what ?
It looks like the russian space program from the 60's, a low budget for a lot of ideas. :|
Well. I'd agree but this is exactly how they started the 200+ water rocket launch, very low-key and didn't look as though they could pull it off. However, that took organisation not technology... the WR car (and giant rocket) will need something more.
Cheers
Steve
Rockets-in-Brighton
WEB: http://groups.google.co.uk/group/rockets-in-brighton