Welcome to the Water Rocket Forum, sponsored by The Water Rocket Achievement World Record Association.

Since our founding in 2003, we've become the largest, most sophisticated and ground breaking group supporting you, the serious water rocket flyer! Whether you are a beginner or an expert, the WRA2 has something for everyone.

A water rocket is a type of model rocket using water as its reaction mass. The pressure vessel (the engine of the rocket) is constructed from thin plastic or other non metallic materials (usually a used plastic soft drink bottle) weighing 1,500 grams or less. The water is forced out by compressed air. It is an example of Newton's third law of motion.


Hello Everyone. It is that time of year again. Time to approve changes to the competition rules for the new year.

You Can vote at:
viewtopic.php?f=32&p=19486#p19486

Please take the time to vote. TH:

water helicopter

Discussions about water rocket powered cars, sleds or boats.
Post Reply
User avatar
Jelo
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member
Posts: 225
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:38 pm

water helicopter

Post by Jelo » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:29 am

water rocket, boat and car....what about helicopter??
one of my favourite cheap toys (under 2€) is the balloon helicopter, why not make a larger version of this with a water rocket?

http://www.mooncostumes.com/image/7875

how it works: a balloon is attached to the rotors, when released, air goes through the 3 tubes along each blade, comming out one end and pushing the rotor around


Anto'

always wear a raincoat

teper
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member
Posts: 51
Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:42 pm

Re: water helicopter

Post by teper » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:29 pm

Wouldn't the weight of the water prevent it from lifting off?



User avatar
Brian
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member
Posts: 496
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:02 am

Re: water helicopter

Post by Brian » Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:09 am

Rockets powered by water, thats possible, why not helicopters. A water rocket has a good thrust to weight ratio, so would this helicopter.
The exhaust will look great.
How are you thinking of sealing preassurizing and launching it?


Ascender Water Rockets
http://ascenderwaterrockets.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCS2NHXS-VFxEux70DCINR0w

User avatar
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member
Posts: 1771
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:24 pm

Re: water helicopter

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:19 pm

Brian wrote:Rockets powered by water, thats possible, why not helicopters. A water rocket has a good thrust to weight ratio, so would this helicopter.
The exhaust will look great.
How are you thinking of sealing preassurizing and launching it?
The thrust to weight ratio is do large, you could probably scale this up pretty large and use very small jets to spin the rotors and get a powerful lift from the rotors that could lift a large reservoir of water.


Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison

appypaddy
New Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:05 am

Re: water helicopter

Post by appypaddy » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:59 am

we know that helicopters are working with air pressure. but we know that in the oceans and seas, there is water pressure. if we invent a water helicopter which is designed for water pressure , will it fly;(or swim) inside the sea. i mean can same principles for air pressure is or is not valid for water pressure. is the propeller of the sea helicopter will let helicopter to take off. this is important for my project . thanks. will a helicopter designed for ocean pressure take off . the helicopter is designed according to same principles for a helicopter wich works using air pressure. is water or liquid pressure same as air pressure at this point.



User avatar
Spaceman Spiff
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member
Posts: 681
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:06 am

Re: water helicopter

Post by Spaceman Spiff » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:50 pm

appypaddy wrote:we know that helicopters are working with air pressure. but we know that in the oceans and seas, there is water pressure. if we invent a water helicopter which is designed for water pressure , will it fly;(or swim) inside the sea. i mean can same principles for air pressure is or is not valid for water pressure. is the propeller of the sea helicopter will let helicopter to take off. this is important for my project . thanks. will a helicopter designed for ocean pressure take off . the helicopter is designed according to same principles for a helicopter wich works using air pressure. is water or liquid pressure same as air pressure at this point.
I remember reading that the first torpedoes invented had used compressed air from a tank that would drive their propellers. That only lasted a while because the torpedo would leave a trail of bubbles that gave it away and helped the target ship evade them.


Spaceman Spiff
"What goes up, must come down"

User avatar
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member
Posts: 1771
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:24 pm

Re: water helicopter

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:05 am

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
appypaddy wrote:we know that helicopters are working with air pressure. but we know that in the oceans and seas, there is water pressure. if we invent a water helicopter which is designed for water pressure , will it fly;(or swim) inside the sea. i mean can same principles for air pressure is or is not valid for water pressure. is the propeller of the sea helicopter will let helicopter to take off. this is important for my project . thanks. will a helicopter designed for ocean pressure take off . the helicopter is designed according to same principles for a helicopter wich works using air pressure. is water or liquid pressure same as air pressure at this point.
I remember reading that the first torpedoes invented had used compressed air from a tank that would drive their propellers. That only lasted a while because the torpedo would leave a trail of bubbles that gave it away and helped the target ship evade them.
About 5 years ago there were a bunch of toys made with a similar air pressure operated piston engines. They had planes and cars that you pumped up and the pressure would power the piston and make them go. They looked and sounded a lot like the old gas powered RC planes, etc. They just did not fly long on a single pump fillup. There were a bunch of hacks to make them run longer, etc.

Some kid probably got hurt by one exploding and they probably took them off the market because they don't seem to be around any longer.


Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison

User avatar
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member
Posts: 621
Joined: Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:39 am

Re: water helicopter

Post by Water Rocket Expert » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:44 pm

I remember my brother had one of those.


Water Rocket Expert
I'm 18
Maryland
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein

User avatar
Blenderite
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member
Posts: 438
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:49 pm

Re: water helicopter

Post by Blenderite » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:59 pm

What would be nice is if there where a slip type coupler that one end could rotate freely and yet still have a pressure/water tight seal. Then that could be out on the last bottle and the rotors attached to that. Then a RC controlled valve to regulate the flow of water. Technically you might be able to hover! I wonder how that would work, hmm. Interesting idea to throw around.


-Blenderite

Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/Blenderite

"Get it right, then go for GREATNESS!"

User avatar
Water Rocket Expert
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member
Posts: 621
Joined: Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:39 am

Re: water helicopter

Post by Water Rocket Expert » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:36 am

I have one of them. I think the problem with the rocket heli is the wieght of the water and pumping it up.


Water Rocket Expert
I'm 18
Maryland
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein

Post Reply