Need a Parachute Calculator?

Discussion about deployment systems including altimeters, timers, air speed flaps, servo systems, and chemical reactions.
RebelRockets
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Need a Parachute Calculator?

Post by RebelRockets »

Hi,

Can anybody use a parachute descent calculator? I was in a programming mood so I put together something using equations that I found at

http://web.archive.org/web/200110271245 ... scent.html

The screen shot should pretty much explain what's in it. Any suggestions for things to add or change?
Parachute Calculator Screen Sample1.jpg
Parachute Calculator Screen Sample1.jpg (85.46 KiB) Viewed 152 times
This is a 'Windows' program, tested so far to run on versions ME & XP . If anybody is interested, I believe that my WordPress page can be set up to download from there. I will post here again if and when it is available for download.

Here's a question for the "physics majors" out there. If the equation says that you need a chute of 500 square inches, would using two identical chutes that combined total 500 square inches give the same results? I put an option in the program to use multiple chutes to evenly divide the weight and I'd like to know if that makes sense.

Dennis
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: Need a Parachute Calculator?

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

RebelRockets wrote:Hi,

Can anybody use a parachute descent calculator? I was in a programming mood so I put together something using equations that I found at

http://web.archive.org/web/200110271245 ... scent.html

The screen shot should pretty much explain what's in it. Any suggestions for things to add or change?
Parachute Calculator Screen Sample1.jpg
This is a 'Windows' program, tested so far to run on versions ME & XP . If anybody is interested, I believe that my WordPress page can be set up to download from there. I will post here again if and when it is available for download.

Here's a question for the "physics majors" out there. If the equation says that you need a chute of 500 square inches, would using two identical chutes that combined total 500 square inches give the same results? I put an option in the program to use multiple chutes to evenly divide the weight and I'd like to know if that makes sense.

Dennis
Thanks for creating this application. This is definitely the kind of thing that we need to have available for people to use so they can make parachutes that are predictable. We would otherwise use trial and error by dropping weighted parachutes from a rooftop so we could get the size correct for our chutes.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
Brian
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Brian »

maybe research equations for different shaped parachutes. maybe also a an equation for the force parachuting object has when hitting the ground.
Ascender Water Rockets
http://ascenderwaterrockets.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCS2NHXS-VFxEux70DCINR0w
RebelRockets
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by RebelRockets »

Hi everybody,

I've enabled downloads for the calculator from http://rebelrockets.wordpress.com
Look for the Box.net "DOWNLOADS" widget at the bottom of the right sidebar on any page. I've tested the download myself, it seems to be working now, but at first Box.net sent me strange very small files instead. :?
I hope it was just a setup problem because I had no prior experience with Box.net. Any Box.net experts here?

The correct file should be 1.07 MB in size. Be sure to read the 'Program Information' from within the program itself.

Dennis
RebelRockets
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by RebelRockets »

Brian wrote:maybe research equations for different shaped parachutes. maybe also a an equation for the force parachuting object has when hitting the ground.
Hi Brian,

The program itself takes all shapes in the same equation, BUT somehow you have to determine the rating number for your parachute yourself. The person who wrote the original equation, Randy Culp ?, says that a "parasheet" ( not to be confused with a parakeet :wink: ) made from a single flat piece of material, has a drag coefficient of 0.75 and I've set that as the default in the program. He rates a dome-shaped parachute made from fitted pieces at 1.5, so is that the maximum possible?
If anyone knows how he arrived at those numbers please say how and it will be included in updates of the program.

I suppose you could put a known weight on a known size parachute, drop it from a known height and measure its falling speed. Then compare that speed to the one predicted by the program to adjust the drag coefficient to get the same result in the program. If you work with the program that will make more sense.

As for the force of the object hitting the ground, would that be momentum?
A quote from Physics Essentials For Dummies®
"All you have to do to get the momentum of an object is to multiply its mass by its velocity. Because you multiply mass by velocity, the units for momentum are kilograms-meters per second, kg·m/s."
The program uses and displays grams and meters per second, so that could easily be added to an update

Dennis
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

We use mostly cross-form parachutes, which don't see to be supported. The program could use other parachute types to round out the offering. Otherwise, it is good to have this type of program available.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
RebelRockets
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by RebelRockets »

Hi everybody,

The latest version 1.1 of the calculator has been uploaded to my web site today. It was in the works already before the last response, and yes there are now options for hexagon and octagon shapes. There are also more bits of information displayed along with the options. I believe I now have the correct formulas for the new geometry, but if anyone sees something they disagree with, please let me know.
Calculator v1_1 screen.jpg
Calculator v1_1 screen.jpg (118.46 KiB) Viewed 123 times
I've been researching cross-form parachutes and have been wanting to add them to the options. If you consider them to be made of two equal, long rectangles over-lapped at the center, Length and Width refer to the rectangle itself and you would figure the area of the parachute to be

Area = ( 2 x Length x Width ) - ( Width x Width )

You could work with the program before the option is added by adjusting the circle parachute until it has the same area as you get from the equation above.

Looking at pictures of cross-forms in the air, it seems like some have more material at the sides of the open parachute than basicly round ones do. Would this mean that their area of material was proportionately less effective than round parachutes? That would effect the overall accuracy of using the program unless you entered a different drag coefficient for cross-forms. Anybody have any data from using cross-forms that would help here?

Dennis
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

RebelRockets wrote:Hi everybody,

The latest version 1.1 of the calculator has been uploaded to my web site today. It was in the works already before the last response, and yes there are now options for hexagon and octagon shapes. There are also more bits of information displayed along with the options. I believe I now have the correct formulas for the new geometry, but if anyone sees something they disagree with, please let me know.
Calculator v1_1 screen.jpg
I've been researching cross-form parachutes and have been wanting to add them to the options. If you consider them to be made of two equal, long rectangles over-lapped at the center, Length and Width refer to the rectangle itself and you would figure the area of the parachute to be

Area = ( 2 x Length x Width ) - ( Width x Width )

You could work with the program before the option is added by adjusting the circle parachute until it has the same area as you get from the equation above.

Looking at pictures of cross-forms in the air, it seems like some have more material at the sides of the open parachute than basicly round ones do. Would this mean that their area of material was proportionately less effective than round parachutes? That would effect the overall accuracy of using the program unless you entered a different drag coefficient for cross-forms. Anybody have any data from using cross-forms that would help here?

Dennis
Dennis,

Thanks for the updated software. Adding cross form chutes is a big help.

One thing though... it seems that the formula you used to computer the area left out the fact that the overlapping area of the two rectangles should be halved because it shouldn't count twice.

Otherwise, nice work!
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
RebelRockets
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by RebelRockets »

"If you consider them to be made of two equal, long rectangles over-lapped at the center, Length and Width refer to the rectangle itself and you would figure the area of the parachute to be

Area = ( 2 x Length x Width ) - ( Width x Width )"

You can also consider them, generally but not always, to be 5 squares attached together in a + shape. So that area would be 5 square units. So in this case Length = 3, Width = 1.

Area = ( 2 x 3 x 1 ) - ( 1 x 1 ) = 6 - 1 = 5

If Length = 6, Width = 2, one of its 5 squares is 4 square units in area.

Area = ( 2 x 6 x 2 ) - ( 2 x 2 ) = 24 - 4 = 20

If you have a different, thicker + shape, Length = 5, Width = 2

Area = ( 2 x 5 x 2 ) - ( 2 x 2 ) = 20 - 4 = 16

That one layer of material that overlaps is always subtracted by ( Width x Width ).
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

RebelRockets wrote:"If you consider them to be made of two equal, long rectangles over-lapped at the center, Length and Width refer to the rectangle itself and you would figure the area of the parachute to be

Area = ( 2 x Length x Width ) - ( Width x Width )"

You can also consider them, generally but not always, to be 5 squares attached together in a + shape. So that area would be 5 square units. So in this case Length = 3, Width = 1.

Area = ( 2 x 3 x 1 ) - ( 1 x 1 ) = 6 - 1 = 5

If Length = 6, Width = 2, one of its 5 squares is 4 square units in area.

Area = ( 2 x 6 x 2 ) - ( 2 x 2 ) = 24 - 4 = 20

If you have a different, thicker + shape, Length = 5, Width = 2

Ok, that's what we were wondering about. That looks good now!

Area = ( 2 x 5 x 2 ) - ( 2 x 2 ) = 20 - 4 = 16

That one layer of material that overlaps is always subtracted by ( Width x Width ).
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Brian
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Brian »

did you use game maker to make the simulator? if so, how?
theres a mac version of game maker out so mac's can use this simulator as well.
Ascender Water Rockets
RebelRockets
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by RebelRockets »

Did you use game maker to make the simulator? if so, how?
theres a mac version of game maker out so mac's can use this simulator as well.
Yes, Brian, I did use an older Version 6, free edition of Game Maker. Their logo always appears first when you create something with the free edition.

I believe the program (Game Maker itself) was created with Delphi, a Pascal programming language. I had some experience with Delphi 4 so the logic in programming with Game Maker was familiar to me.

How was the calculator made? That would be pretty lengthy to explain here. To make it brief, Game Maker lets you create graphics used for the buttons and screen. When the buttons are clicked on, you can enter data, then that data is used in code to make the calculations and display the results. Game Maker has a lot more graphics and features available for games but the code programming language is still there.

I have no experience with Mac computers, not even operating one. I don't think there was an older version of Game Maker for Macs, maybe the latest version is available for Mac? The calculator does not need Game Maker to work, only a Windows OS. If you were thinking of making a Mac version, the game files created with older versions of Game Maker usually don't work with the latest version. You would need to re-enter all of the code. The physics formulas used in my code can be found in the link in the first post. The geometry for figuring the areas of different parachutes came from various sources.

Dennis
Brian
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Brian »

sounds like im out of my depth!
i hope to make a water rocket simulator in the future and was thinking of making it in an excel spread sheet before i saw your simulator.
i now wish to make it in game maker but im not familiar with Delphi so im curious about how you add the equations and how you made the buttons?
thanks for replying.
Ascender Water Rockets
RebelRockets
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by RebelRockets »

Brian,

and anyone else interested in downloading Game Maker to create simulators, you can still get free older versions and documentation files here:

http://wiki.yoyogames.com/index.php/Old ... r_Versions

This is the legitimate source for the original programs but as with any files downloaded, scan them with your virus check.

I would suggest Version 6 as it is less complicated but still more than enough to create simulators. You can no longer pay to register older versions to unlock all the extra features, but they are mainly for creating more elaborate graphics for advanced games.

The program uses graphic style menus to select programming segments and does a lot of the work to link the code together for beginners. Much of what you make can be built up by making selections from these menus. Graphics can easily be created within the program in a special editor. More advanced code can be eventually written by the user once you learn the syntax of the language. A built-in syntax checker helps locate mistakes in your code. I would say that if you could pass an algebra class, you can easily learn to program in this.

Dennis
Brian
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Brian »

version 6 is quite similar to version 8.
do you add the equations to the scripts, if so, how? because the program talks of an error when i tested this with the equation 1+2. also, how do you get those boxes which you type in to pop up.
its probably very simple but i have no idea!
Ascender Water Rockets